Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning floating disk buttons

Hi all,

My Speedy has been developing some pulsing while braking (front) over the last month, and while I initially thought I had managed to warp the rotors, the ever helpful interwebs pointed me to the buttons on the floating disks.
    So I checked and found that the majority had little to no movement if you tried to rotate them by hand.

Further interwebs searching suggested that I do the bolt, washer and plenty of brake cleaner technique - which I am in the process of doing, but am finding that it is very time consuming, fiddly, uses a S**t of brake cleaner and I find they are still fairly tight when rotated by hand.

So my questions are:

How tight/loose should they be normally?
    Does anyone have any pro tips to make the job easier - or do I just need to suck it up princess, set a few hours aside and buy a couple more cans of brake cleaner?
    Originally posted by Abraham Lincoln
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you can never be sure they are real".

+
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
      ... so the latter?

Toothbrushes aren't a problem, I have plenty in her 'Bath Day' bucket.

As for the disk cleaner, I have been using the Repco generic brand, no good...?
      "The problem with internet quotes, is that you can never be sure they are real".

Comment

All the same really, how bad are you discs? Can you post a pic?
        Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

They are only semi-floating discs so don't expect too much movement in the buttons.
          I suspect you either have some glazing or uneven pad deposits on the rotor itself. I use one of these every 6 months or so and give the surface a good clean. It fits in a drill.>>> disc cleaning rotor hone
          “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

Sorry the lighting isn't very good.

Right

Left

And thanks [MENTION=5183]TurboR1[/MENTION] for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
              They are only semi-floating discs so don't expect too much movement in the buttons.
              I suspect you either have some glazing or uneven pad deposits on the rotor itself. I use one of these every 6 months or so and give the surface a good clean. It fits in a drill.>>> disc cleaning rotor hone
              Thank [MENTION=27425]Mr Bean[/MENTION] , there is definitely some glazing, with the associated brake squeal. I have been told a light brush with some emery paper will help with that (the pad, not the disk), is this right?

I had earlier given the rotors a good scrub with brake cleaner, thinking it may be resin/deposits, but had not joy in resolving the issue, however I didn't use any tool like a rotary brush, and I am always looking for an excuse to add to the tool box

Comment

Are you sure they're not warped? Have you put them on a dial gauge? Triumph rotors are very prone to warping.
                Fairly sure they're only semi-floating rotors so you wont get any forward/backward movement on those buttons, only side to side.
                “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

I can't be 100% sure, and I have no way of lifting the front to check with a dial gauge or blue tac/paper clip.
                  I am hoping to rule out any normal wear'n'tear things before going back to the dealer - she is still under warranty.
                  I wasnt sure if rotors would be covered, but have read the warranty a couple of times over and while it stipulates that consumables such as pads etc aren't included, it makes no mention of rotors.

Comment

.. bugger putting more tools in the toolbox, get some of these: AXIS Iron Rotors
                    .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

I had those on the MV, rust city. Should go the carbo-ceramic.

Comment

Very nice, I could definately see a pair of those on my front wheel. Probably looking about a grand for the pair after postage, exchange rates etc, which would dig into the toy fund a bit much.

Comment

Finally got around to sorting it out. Ended buying a front paddock stand and pulling the wheel off, then removing the disks and giving them a good scrub with the toothbrush/brake cleaner. I found this to be much better than trying to scrub them on the bike and gave me a chance to give the calipers a good clean. Funnily enough, I found my mates oral b toothbrush did a better job than the cheaper brush I started with.

I gave the locktight a chance to cure, and have had it out for a ride this arvo. No squeal or pulsing from the front end for now, happy days

Comment

Working...
                          X