Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre warmers - Uneven heating

Hi Lads,

I just bought a new set of tyre warmers from Sumomoto to get an extra few good laps in per session on track days. The rear seems fine, but the front leaves a section approx. a hand width wide across the tyre where the warmer connects. It still heats up, but the heat either side and the rest of the way around the tyre is significantly hotter than this section.

Will the heat spread to this section after say a lap in?

I ride in intermediate/fast (blue) group. Not really keen on coming unstuck because of it

Suggestions/advice?

Cheers
    Yes officer, I did see the speed limit sign. I just didn't see YOU!

Could you rotate the warmer halfway through heating?

Comment

I thought that. Maybe I'll try at home. Mark the section that's cool and see if it all gets to the same temp

Comment

It will be fine, even if you did come unstuck for that 10cm, the tyre would re-grip quickly enough within 0.1sec of it starting the slide, I doubt you would even notice it! that part of the tyre will still be a heap better than going out cold as well, so I dont think it would be a problem at all.

Comment

if it bothers you, maybe you could modify the warmer?

i am guessing the unheated bit is due to the element spacing. at some point the element spacing should match the rates of heat loss through the insulation and the rate heat soaks through the tyres rubber if that makes sense. if the element spacing is uneven or too wide apart then if you spaced the element off the tyre with a small length of ally flat plate it might help spread the heat more evenly.

alternatively if the element spacing looks even, then maybe there is a problem with the insulation.
          Originally posted by Bendito
          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Ensuring the tyre warmer has the join at a low point helps keep the heat in for starters. The heat will migrate around a bit and after the first session the rim retains a lot of heat also so it shouldn't be an issue at all after the first 2 laps of the first session, if at all.
            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Nice one guys. I might even try several layers of al foil folded over each other to warm it for the first session. This should help dissipate the heat around that area.

The general consensus is that it shouldn't really matter though so I'll give it a bash

Cheers for the input

Comment

What do you think of the Sumomoto? I still haven't ordered mine, so happy to hear guinea pig opinion

PS get tarded!!
                Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                . .

Comment

Yeah no hassle. I ordered them when I was away. Shipping took about 2 weeks to arrive. Only issue seems to be that front warmer but could be a 1 off

Comment

Working...
                  X