slip on exhaust smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slip on exhaust smell?

i recently purchased a slip on exhaust and put it on myself. the problem is that after riding the exhaust seems to smell (not sure what it smells like).
    any ideas on what this could be?

If it's brand new there will probably be leftover oil from the manufacturing process.

This should burn off eventually.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

ok thanks. ive only had it for 2 days

Comment

You put it on yourself? Probably just a few farts slipping through, at least they'll be quiet now you have a muffler...

Oh you put it on the bike, yeah what Crobbo said and the muffler packing and paint curing etc
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

First ride with a new full system the smell actually made me feel sick. Went away after a few hours of riding.

Comment

Unless it's a 2Brothers, then it's the smell of the packing being burnt away and the silastic melting.
            Last edited by Commander Keen; 16-09-2014, 12:44 PM.
            Originally posted by Desmo
            Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

said like Ralph Wiggum, "my bike smells of porridge."
              Originally posted by Abuse this
              Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

If its on a Ninja 250 (or most carbed bikes) and you havnt re-jetted it?

It will run like shit, belch black smoke, hard to start, too lean in the midrange, rich up top, and overheat eventually destroy the 'almost bulletproof' engine.

Comment

^^ beat me to it.

also check for leaks while you paranoid over the smell and what not. use a funnel and fuel hose to listen for exhaust leaks around the clamp. also use your hand to feel around it but when cold. if it is, use hi temp exhaust gasket silicone for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
                    If its on a Ninja 250 (or most carbed bikes) and you havnt re-jetted it?

It will run like shit, belch black smoke, hard to start, too lean in the midrange, rich up top, and overheat eventually destroy the 'almost bulletproof' engine.
                    Why rejet it? There's not more air getting into the system as it's bottlenecked at the airbox, and it's still the stock headerpipe. Only thing that has changed is it's now a slightly louder lawn mower.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                      Why rejet it? There's not more air getting into the system as it's bottlenecked at the airbox, and it's still the stock headerpipe. Only thing that has changed is it's now a slightly louder lawn mower.
                      depends which was the restriction, if you have a free flowing intake and a choked exhaust from the factory which it is jetted for and then remove the restriction in the exhaust it will end up lean...

if you change the exhaust on a hardly dangerous without adjusting the fuelling it will blue the pipes with the extra heat from running lean, but you can change the intake as long as the exhaust is still choked, EFI has a range of self correction for airflow or exhaust gas temps etc and still runs into problems, a carb has no self correction so will run into the problems with even smaller changes
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Dead rat?
                        Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja_rider View Post
                          the problem is that after riding the exhaust seems to smell (not sure what it smells like).
                          People are throwing rotten fruit and/or poo at your bike because the sound it makes with that silly pipe is awful.

Comment

as a LV mechanic when I fit exhausts to cars they always smell for a bit as they settle in. it's pretty normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                              People are throwing rotten fruit and/or poo at your bike because the sound it makes with that silly pipe is awful.
                              ^^^*Like*

Heard a few 250 and 300... Not nice
                              Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                              remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                              Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                              Who died while defending his right of way;
                              He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                              But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X