Oils ARE Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thro View Post
    Maybe. But for example, the 600rr shares the exact same honda part number as a honda civic (or prelude, if my memory serves, it's been a while).
    Yeah but I bet the Civic one costs 1/2 the price I remember there was a list I found on one of the BB forums that had a comparison/alternative list for oil filters for all Honda MC's where you could get the car filter for much less even with the same part #

Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    Pardon me for asking but what made you think "I wonder if I can use diesel oil in my bike..?"
    Lots of forums I've been on talk about using diesel spec oil in MC's as it's so much cheaper than MC branded oils and does exactly the same job with the same specs
    I've used Penrite LPG spec oil for years in my Bird and she runs much smoother than on MC specific oils and it's much cheaper

The 20w-60 in Joe's pic does seem quite thick though! I've tended to just use 20w-50
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• 4 stroke = they’re all fucking diesels anyway
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

• Repco has the hpr 5 on sale from tomorrow 10L $75

Comment

• Originally posted by Para045 View Post
          Yeah but I bet the Civic one costs 1/2 the price I remember there was a list I found on one of the BB forums that had a comparison/alternative list for oil filters for all Honda MC's where you could get the car filter for much less even with the same part #

Lots of forums I've been on talk about using diesel spec oil in MC's as it's so much cheaper than MC branded oils and does exactly the same job with the same specs
          I've used Penrite LPG spec oil for years in my Bird and she runs much smoother than on MC specific oils and it's much cheaper

The 20w-60 in Joe's pic does seem quite thick though! I've tended to just use 20w-50
          Probably an obvious fucking question but you’ve checked that it’s not friction modified right?

Comment

• Originally posted by thro View Post
            4 stroke = they’re all fucking diesels anyway
            Ease up... your RGV isn't on the road yet.
            Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
              Probably an obvious fucking question but you’ve checked that it’s not friction modified right?
              Yes it is an obvious question That's the 1st thing I check for any oil that's going into a wet clutch as it'll cause clutch slip
              There's a couple of guys on one of the US forums I get on that work in related industries ie oil/fuel and heavy haulage etc that have actually done laboratory comparison tests between various MC oils and diesel/LPG oils and found they are usually as good if not exceed the specs of MC branded oils and found many are virtually the same as a MC branded oil but at a much reduced price
              Same story with the filters, comparisons have been done on US sites that show that many of the companies will sell an identical spec filter (even the same part #) for a car much cheaper than for a MC
              HERE
              is one link
              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
              Originally posted by Phildo
              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
              Originally posted by filbert
              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                Ease up... your RGV isn't on the road yet.

Hah. will be soon. 7 grand later....
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

• Hey everyone. I just got this interesting reply from gulf western - it appears that a few of their oils are non-friction modified and suitable for wet clutches.

Hi wheel_of_steell,

We are updating labels at the moment for many of our products and will include motorcycle icons on these passenger vehicle engine oils that are suitable for use with motorcycles with wet clutch. At the same time, we are going to add the JASO qualification onto the labels. We are partly through this process. You will see JASO MA on our Syn-X 3000 10W-40 and JASO MA-2 on our Syn-X 5000 5W-40 (although the icons are not yet on any of these labels). In time, yes, Premium Gold 15W-40 and Hi Tech Premium 20W-50 will also have these icons and JASO labelling.

None of the oils mentioned above include friction modifiers which could impact wet clutch operation. As we have not specifically targeted the motorcycle segment, this is the reason why we make a comment on our website although the label may not (yet) include this information. As mentioned above, this is in the process of being updated.

You could also consider our Top Dog range of diesel engine oils which would also be suitable in motorcycle with wet clutch operation.

Regards,
                  Gulf western man
                  The price is good for their premium gold 15w-40: $20 for 5L when it's on special.
                  Their syn X range is approximately the same price as penrite hpr 5
                  There isn't much mention of how much ZDDP extreme pressure additives are in there - not to say it isn't ZDDP there, most oils have it, but penrite makes a big deal about how much zinc is in there and publishes numbers too. So without hard numbers to go off, I feel a bit more confident that penrite will prevent gear tooth wear.

But it's nice to know that there's multiple options for bike oil out there.
                  Originally posted by devolved
                  I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Comment

Working...
                  X