Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information for a beginner

Hi guys,

I just got my licence a few days ago, and I'm looking to buy my first bike (R-E).

I'm wondering if anyone knows where a good website that compares performance stats of bikes, provides information about the different factors.
    eg; two-stroke, four-stroke, CC rating

Or any other information that could be helpful. I'm torn between getting a 250cc or getting a maximum cc on my LAMS. Advice?

Thanks all,
    Jimmy

Horses for courses really, performance wise the cbr250rr is probably pretty high on the list although they are older machines now but even then they're still slow as fuck compared to a supersport or superbike that you'll move on to later.

Buy something cheap that suits your height and riding style, worry about performance when you upgrade.
    Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
    Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Hi Ryan, thanks for the advice seems to be what a lot of people say.

I figure though, buy a second hand 500 and that way I'll have something to grow into, rather then buy something and then need to switch to a bigger lams and then switch to an unrestricted.

Comment

The secret to any LAMs bike is not to blow too much money on it.

You'll keep it a few years and want to step up.
        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Originally posted by James Shaw View Post
          Hi Ryan, thanks for the advice seems to be what a lot of people say.

I figure though, buy a second hand 500 and that way I'll have something to grow into, rather then buy something and then need to switch to a bigger lams and then switch to an unrestricted.
          The only difference between a 250 and a 500 is the weight and torque being greater on the 500. It's not a 'true' 500 and as such has no real power. You gain nothing extra by buying a bike with more cubic centimeters on your LAMS restrictions, they're all slow and you'll 'get bored' of any of them
          Rest in Peace

Comment

Your going to sell it once you get your R's (guaranteed) So get whatever one you like the most, that fits your budget.
            That being said, the KTM 390's are a lot of fun.
            Generally, newer jap bikes will give you less trouble than the older ones.

Also, don't buy Ryan's SXV
            Here lies the body of Harold Day
            He knew it was his right of way.
            He was right, dead right, as he rode along
            But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=180321

Cant go wrong with a vtr like this for sale on psb.

Or sporty like this cbr-
              https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=180629

Its a Honda.

Comment

Ok guys, thanks so far. So a friend of mine has also told that the most important thing is to try and grab an amazing bargain when it comes to LAMS, which sounds just like what you've all been saying..

So how do I know I'm getting a bargain or not? All I can do is ride a bike now, I haven't a clue about anything else.

Regards,
                Jimmy

Comment

Like, how do I know that a bike has had severe damage, or if someone has played around with the sit height? etc etc, what is important, and what isn't important to look at when buying?

Comment

https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=180321

Buy this. hassle free, PSB member, reliable bike.

Alternatively, pick a few types of bikes you like, pay someone who knows what to look for in beer, fuel and food to look at bikes with you. Buy bike.
                    Here lies the body of Harold Day
                    He knew it was his right of way.
                    He was right, dead right, as he rode along
                    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

I don't agree with getting a Bargain and the cheapest clapped out POS that 20 noobs have munted.
                      A new rider needs everything to work nicely, to develop some pride in their ride.

$3500 will get a nice sub 10,000km 2011 cbr250 or Ninja 250 with 2 owners at the worst, these bikes were only 5k new.
                      don't spend less than 2500. They come up on psb weekly.

Performance stats don't matter, that's up to the rider.

Comment

Originally posted by Supdog View Post
                        Also, don't buy Ryan's SXV
                        Too late fucker it's already sold
                        Rest in Peace

Comment

yeh I'm not sure I'd go for the "bargain" thing either, it should be fun, reliable and have a good resale, that way you will get in and out when you want for maximum bang for buck. ride them all, everyone's different...........

i would go with something like a 500, or at least a modern purpose built lams bike. lams isn't about having a powerful motorbike
                          I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by James Shaw View Post
                            Like, how do I know that a bike has had severe damage, or if someone has played around with the sit height? etc etc, what is important, and what isn't important to look at when buying?
                            Get a mobile mechanic to look over the bike- try Kamahl at K-Tec (0415 746 665) or Derek Ball (0438 926 511).

As said, don't bother about cc's - they're all gutless. You won't get bored of a LAMS before you even get it out of the driveway but you will feel you're ringing its neck after awhile 250cc, 500cc - makes no difference. But when you do get bored of it, you still won't be anywhere near outriding the bike.

Comment

My advice:

Smaller un-restricted engine (i.e., 250-300cc) will be more fun to ride hard (it will rev cleanly to redline), lighter, and easier to turn than a restricted 650cc bike (that is just breathless up top, heavier, etc.)

I'd be looking at the RC390, R3, CBR500R personally - probably in that order.
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X