Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement brake lines

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Replacement brake lines

    Query for the collective...

    If I want to replace all the hydraulic hoses on my bike, who would be worth asking? It would most likely be a "measure and make" as the bike (BMW R1200 CL) is not common at all, so very unlikely there is a replacement kit produced locally. I can source from overseas of course but would rather hand my coin over to a local business as long as they are in the ball park.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by Hati; 31-12-2018, 04:58 PM.

  • #2
    Yeah Spiegler USA do them, $221 USD ($313.82 AUD) So Do EBC UK 154.40 GBP ($278.62 AUD) and Goodridge USA


    Locally there is Couplers Malaga that does Brakequip, also HoseMart Wangara doe braided lines as I got some made for my 79 F100 a few years back as OEM weren't available
    I did get a rough price for my BB but as it's a 10 line kit it actually worked out more expensive than what a HEL kit was, still haven't changed them but will look at them again in the near future as the OEM lines are 20 years old now and the HEL kit has got a bit cheaper
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

    98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

    Comment


    • #3
      Check out Venhill, you can buy any angle banjo bolt you need and then order the length of line you need to suit.

      https://www.venhill.co.uk/?SID=vf17t...b853c8m44nhmo2

      I have used these guys in the past to sort out brake lines on my ZX10R which needed custom lines after changing callipers and master cylinders to Brembo and also after relocating the rear caliper to be underslung. Easy as pie to do yourself in an afternoon.

      It's very simple to put together yourself and you can get the perfect fit once you measure it up.
      Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

      Comment


      • #4
        HEL do custom so you can create your own set...

        http://au.helperformance.com/custom-brake-hose

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks guys, I'll look into all those suggestions.

          Comment


          • #6
            +1 or the HEL lines...good service and what a difference they make over old standard lines

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, I ended up going with ProBrake from Germany, mostly because they were the only ones catering for the CL. The R1200C is very different, out of the 7 hydraulic lines only 2 are the same as the CL. They claimed to have premium quality and I can confirm that now that the package arrived today. Everything is millimetre perfect, all banjo angles and positions are spot on and the chrome is spotless. Very impressed!!!

              I have seen some aftermarket brake hoses and have used Italian made replacements myself but this is something else. I am a fussy prick at the best of times, not easy to please but this did. Was worth every penny of the AU$450 shipped. I can highly recommend these guys if you want quality brake lines.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hati View Post
                Everything is millimetre perfect, all banjo angles and positions are spot on and the chrome is spotless. Very impressed!!!
                So you paid the extra for the chrome fittings? I personally don't like the idea of alloy fittings on a brake line no matter how well they are made
                Still not a cheap option for me, they list a kit for the BB but no price/specs etc but the list for the X-11 which was essentially a naked BB is ~418EUR which is over $663 AUD before shipping etc
                So probably similar to HEL once shipping and GST etc is added
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                Comment


                • #9
                  Because the thread seems appropriate. If I upgrade to a Brembo master on my CBR600, will the HEL race lines kit fit ? Looks like the lines might need to be a tad longer, but that's only me eyeballing it. Be nice to hear from someone that's done it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                    So you paid the extra for the chrome fittings?
                    Yup and clear blue coating for front brake and clutch lines to match (reasonably well) the bike's colour. No idea why your BB costs so much. Longer lines maybe?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mika79 View Post
                      Because the thread seems appropriate. If I upgrade to a Brembo master on my CBR600, will the HEL race lines kit fit ? Looks like the lines might need to be a tad longer, but that's only me eyeballing it. Be nice to hear from someone that's done it.
                      It depends on the Brembo M/C in use and how it compares to the original unit. It may have a different orientation, it will also depend on whether you wish to change how your brake lines are run, twin lines from the M/C to each caliper, a single line for the M/C and then splits over the guard, or single down to one caliper and then a second line back over the guard to the other caliper.

                      It may be worth waiting until you have the M/C in hand and then you can see exactly what you need and order the correct lines with the correct angles on the banjos.

                      Also bear in mind the Brembo M/Cs use a different thread than the Japanese so make sure your caliper comes with the correct bolt and DO NOT reuse your original one.
                      Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hati View Post
                        Yup and clear blue coating for front brake and clutch lines to match (reasonably well) the bike's colour. No idea why your BB costs so much. Longer lines maybe?
                        He has DCBS (dual combined braking system) so there's extra lines linking the rear brake pedal to the front calipers and the front brake lever to the rear brake caliper
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

                        when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          First and best thing to do is remove the DCBS completely. It would remove about 4kg of rubber and fittings, and probably 15L of brake fluid, and you end up with brakes that actually do what you want them to.
                          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            He has DCBS (dual combined braking system) so there's extra lines linking the rear brake pedal to the front calipers and the front brake lever to the rear brake caliper
                            +1 There are actually 10 lines in the HEL kit for the BB


                            Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                            First and best thing to do is remove the DCBS completely. It would remove about 4kg of rubber and fittings, and probably 15L of brake fluid, and you end up with brakes that actually do what you want them to.
                            Yeah are quite a few Bird owners who have gone the de-link kit BUT I actually like how the DCBS works especially in the wet
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                            98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah are quite a few Bird owners who have gone the de-link kit BUT I actually like how the DCBS works especially in the wet [/QUOTE]

                              Does the combined braking do something that you can't do with your hand and foot?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X