Chemical cleaner to bathe carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical cleaner to bathe carbs?

I have a couple of old GPX 250s, one as a commuter and the other needs the carbs to be cleaned out.
    Ninja250wiki claimed pine sol will do it, but that's not available in Australia.
    I figure I should bathe the carbs for a few days then go at them manually.

Does anyone have a backyard solution to what I can safely bathe carbs in to help clean them out?

Happy to buy over the counter if there is another alternative.

The bike runs, but dies under throttle. I want to fix it up for my girlfriend so I can teach her to ride it.

All help appreciated

Sent from my Nokia 3 using Tapacrap

best thing is an ultrasonic bath. That is usually used for cleaning silver cutlery but also works great for carburators.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-an-Ultrasoni/
    Last edited by Goliath; 20-01-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Strip all plastic and rubber parts remove all jets etc..then boil them and the bodies in a pan of salt water. Rinse thoroughly then pop in the oven to dry...make sure she who is to be obeyed is out shoe shopping or similar while you do that.
      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Swap salt for Bi-Carb...boiling water..mmmm might just work..
        " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

I've always used Bam oven cleaner, remove all rubber first, then spray it on, let it do its thing for about 5 minutes and rinse it of in heaps off clean water. I've tried all the low odor one but it's no good, so go for the one that smells like it wants to kill you.

Comment

Salt or bicarb are fine...they both act as a cleaner. The boiling water wont harm any metal parts and help soften any hardened deposits...the boiling action also loosens them....gets into all the tiny jets and circuits too.
            Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!
              I've bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, am currently bathing the carbs in that. It seems to be working, I'll let you know once it's back on the bike whether it worked or not

Comment

WTF ??? where from...mate?

Timeline first post yesterday lunchtime..??
                " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Bought a hundred buck ultrasonic cleaner from SCA. Had to turn the carbs over and do it a few times to clean everything.
                  But it did the job, bike runs fine now. It was cool watching all the gunk dissolve through all the passages.
                  Had an air lock in the cooling system, bled that, took it to a servo for some fuel and there's no bad spots through the throttle range.
                  All in all worth it for the time it saved me tearing the carbs down properly.

Ps- according to SCA reviews the ultrasonic cleaner can be a bit hit or miss. Mine is fine, so far, and will use it to clean tools and other bits and pieces. If it lasts a year, great. It's done its job already!

Comment

Originally posted by SIKYSA View Post
                    Bought a hundred buck ultrasonic cleaner from SCA. Had to turn the carbs over and do it a few times to clean everything.
                    But it did the job, bike runs fine now. It was cool watching all the gunk dissolve through all the passages.
                    Had an air lock in the cooling system, bled that, took it to a servo for some fuel and there's no bad spots through the throttle range.
                    All in all worth it for the time it saved me tearing the carbs down properly.

Ps- according to SCA reviews the ultrasonic cleaner can be a bit hit or miss. Mine is fine, so far, and will use it to clean tools and other bits and pieces. If it lasts a year, great. It's done its job already!

Way to go.
                    I have become a fan of them in the last 6 months.
                    Great results and generally requires 4 or 5 run through if the carb is really nasty.
                    Old old shit in jets and pilots sometimes doesn’t budge but that what Carb Rebuild Kits are for.

Comment

I had some baked-on fuel varnish all over my vintage carb, it was impossible to clean off without affecting the surface of the carb. I used some spray on carb cleaner and it just blew all the crap away.
                      -

Comment

Have used the cans of carby cleaner to good effect a few times.
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                          Strip all plastic and rubber parts remove all jets etc..then boil them and the bodies in a pan of salt water. Rinse thoroughly then pop in the oven to dry...make sure she who is to be obeyed is out shoe shopping or similar while you do that.
                          And precisely what do you think the salt will do, other than get into every nook and cranny and assist in the corrosion of any ferrous components?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by GsxInShed View Post
                          Swap salt for Bi-Carb...boiling water..mmmm might just work..
                          And what magical cleaning properties do you imagine sodium hydrogen carbonate has? Sounds to me like you’ve been spending too much time listening to Shannon fucking Lush
                          Last edited by Chuck Steak; 28-01-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
                            Way to go.
                            I have become a fan of them in the last 6 months.
                            Great results and generally requires 4 or 5 run through if the carb is really nasty.
                            Old old shit in jets and pilots sometimes doesn’t budge but that what Carb Rebuild Kits are for.
                            Yeah they work a treat. Used ‘em in labs for years for cleaning out sensitive scientific equipment components

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
                              I've always used Bam oven cleaner, remove all rubber first, then spray it on, let it do its thing for about 5 minutes and rinse it of in heaps off clean water. I've tried all the low odor one but it's no good, so go for the one that smells like it wants to kill you.
                              Yep. Oven cleaner is a surprisingly good general purpose cleaner. Where’d you get the idea from out of curiosity

Comment

Working...
                              X