Kawa Z800 intermittent starting "issue"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawa Z800 intermittent starting "issue"

Hey all, I thought I'd throw my "issue" out to the brains trust before throwing money at it, let's see what we can get.

So when I got this second-hand Z800, you'd turn the key, wait for the priming/startup electronics to stop whizzing and whirring, touch the starter and it would fire right up on the first turn, every time.

Now, intermittently, it will start up just like that, OR (and increasingly so), I need to hold the starter for a solid 2-3 seconds of it turning the engine over before the engine actually fires up to running.

The battery is tested and seems fine, but I have a spare I can throw in it, I don't suspect it however as the starter motor continues turning just fine, there's no laboring or slowing of the sound of the starter, it just has to keep going before the bike will fire up under it's own steam.

When the bike is running it runs the same as ever, smoother than an oiled boob, no weird idle or any glitches through the powerband.

Suggestions? fuel flow? Spark plugs? I got a somewhat patchy history for the bike when I got it so maybe it just needs a major service thrown at it? (46800kms now). I just got spark plugs for it but they're a total c*nt to change because of the way the frame is, it runs over the top of the motor and seemingly has coolant system parts that need to be removed to do it too.

Your advice on what to check is appreciated, friends have already thrown out things like crank position sensor and battery, but it could even be a bad connection somewhere I guess like on a plug coil.
    Originally posted by boeman
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
    Originally posted by Chuck Steak
    Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Fuel pressure bleeding off, while bike is shut down, does it start perfectly if you switch it off then fire it straight back up? If so it likely the one way valve in the pump system or one of the o-rings in line are bleeding fuel pressure off.

Comment

start with the simple stuff.

May be the Ignition switch is stuck?
      Dust & grime can build up over time. Try spraying CRC(contact cleaner) all around the switch gear.

Might need pulling apart and a clean.
      Last edited by Blazon; 31-01-2019, 01:30 PM. Reason: contact spray

Comment

Just to be sure [MENTION=22035]Blazon[/MENTION] means this stuff.....

https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/c...50g/p/A4733983
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
          Fuel pressure bleeding off, while bike is shut down, does it start perfectly if you switch it off then fire it straight back up? If so it likely the one way valve in the pump system or one of the o-rings in line are bleeding fuel pressure off.
          This...

The fuel pump has no sensor for fuel pressure, so the start up of the fuel pump when the key is turned on is just time based...

If the bike has not been run for some time fuel pressure bleeds off and the timed fuel pump start up isn't sufficient to fully pressurise the fuel system to operating pressure, so when it cranks there is not enough pressure to instantly start the bike...

This is easily tested by starting the bike and then seeing if it always starts instantly every time afterwards. Then start it after an hour and see if it start instantly, then two etc...

If this is the issue you will soon see that after a certain amount of time it always needs that extra cranking to start...

Then final test by cycling the key twice before pressing the start button and see if it then instantly starts...

If the above gives no joy then plugs and a tune...

Comment

So it does fire up straight away after being run, tried that a good 8-10 times now, however! turning the key and letting it prime 5 times still resulted in it taking a few seconds to start..

I suppose I'm still looking at a fuel pressure issue though?
            Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

If you tried cycling the key a couple of times to ensure complete fuel pressure and still having issues I would suggest moving to the next step...

For me that would be remove and check spark plugs, clean, gap and refit...

This will cost nothing but time...

Comment

I have a new set waiting to go in, it's just the time that's actually the toughest part! (13 month old at home) especially since they appear to be a bastard to change.

Comment

Fuel filter.
                  yes, i am ignorant
                  yes, i am a prick
                  no, i don't care
                  you make me sick

Comment

"It's the battery..."
                    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

I would guess (1) fuel pump, (2) fuel pressure reg (3) fuel filter (4) dirty injectors (5) if it has secondary butterflys which act as a choke, maybe that.

Comment

Second the...'its the battery'...my Mt09 did a similar thing....battery was measured at 12.3 vdc after sitting for a while....charged it up and problem was solved.
                        Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Changed the battery as I had one lying around, good suggestions I mean it really always is the battery isn't it. Plus it was by far the easiest thing to try first. So far so good.

One thing that surprised me however was that with no battery connected for a few minutes, I figured I'd need to set the time on the dash again, but I didn't..

Comment

Suggest leak off of fuel pressure.
                            One of my 10s does it. The others are fine.
                            Always starts after 3 or 4 secs crank. Fires immediately any other time. The first start after being in the shed for 24hrs or longer.
                            No biggie.
                            If it gives you the shits start replacing the fuel delivery system from the tank to the injectors.
                            That’s a frightening prospect.
                            The non return at the pump could be weak, have dirt ‘rust’ or anything on or under it.
                            Or a fuel line may be sucking the slightest bit of air after a cool down but seal sufficiently at pressure not to leave any tell tale fuel leaks.

“Let it develop.”

Check the breather hoses. Paper wasps love those things. I have seen a vacuum build up to basically suck the fuel back. And it was a wasp.

Comment

Well after changing the battery I've done about 5 stone cold starts that went perfectly, so the culprit does seem to be the battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X