Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Wrench - Borrowing and Buying

Hi all,

I recently put the forks back on my 08 cbr600rr, but the various pinch bolts aren't torqued up yet.
    Over the years, I've always just tightened to 'good enough' but I'm relying on four small bolts to keep the entire fork assembly in so I think i'd better be safe than sorry.

Does anyone have a suitable torque wrench I can borrow to finish the job? (Closer to Rockingham, the better).

22Nm (16 ft lbs) (top bridge pinch bolt) (axle pinch bolts)
    27Nm (20 ft lbs) (bottom bridge pinch bolts) (handlebar pinch bolt)
    59Nm (44 ft lbs) (Axle bolt)

Also, as far as torque wrench options go... if I was to buy one for future use mainly on motorcycles, what specs should I look for to cover most applications?

Nick
    Last edited by Aus; 21-02-2019, 01:35 PM.
    ​You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

Generally a 1/2" drive and 1/4" drive would do, the ranges will cover everything on a bike. As luck would have it I have an "as new" 1/2" for sale.

Comment

Err...I would look at a 3/8 Torque wrench.
      All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
      #158...RIP James Thompson

Originally posted by Ryanoceros
      Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Comment

Originally posted by Aus View Post
        Also, as far as torque wrench options go... if I was to buy one for future use mainly on motorcycles, what specs should I look for to cover most applications?

Nick
        Depends what you're doing but 3/8" probably most useful compromise IMHO (as maz said)- if you can only buy one. 1/2" not really needed for anything smaller than axles... a lot of the smaller (easier to break) stuff probably best off with 1/4" - the bigger bolts will be more tolerant of "tight enough" torque. The small ones won't. Though as per last edit below - 3/8 will (may, check spec) go down to 10nm accurately - if it is deflecting beam.

If you only have 1/2" and/or 1/4" (i did for a while) for bike use you're likely to run into a lot of bolts that are the max or min adjustment of both wrenches - and thus the torque is likely inaccurate when the wrench is at min or max adjustment.

I'd also try and make sure to get something decent like a deflecting beam one, rather than one of the shitty spring ones that are probably never accurate.

Bear in mind that if you're near the end of the adjustment of any of them (especially the wind up spring tension ones) they won't be accurate. I measured my 1/2 inch to be about 30% out when it was on the edge of its adjustment for things better handled by my 3/8". I think that was for 22nm on 1/2" wrench.

My 3/8 is deflecting beam, the 1/4 and 1/2 are the wind-up spring click ones, i think i'm going to replace with the beam type because i think they're garbage and prone to going out of adjustment.

On the deflecting beam type there's not much to go wrong or out of adjustment... and you can't leave them tensioned accidentally (which causes the wind up ones to lose calibration) because they're only under load when you're using it.

This is the type i'm talking about:

https://wbtools.com.au/products/defl...rque-wrenches/

From memory the deflecting beam type wasn't really much more than the clicky spring loaded shitty type.

edit:
        Given this does 10-120nm at +/- 4% accuracy, this would do pretty much all bike jobs:

https://www.justtools.com.au/kincrom...ing-beam-k8031

Pretty sure i have that exact wrench. Being deflecting beam, it should be accurate across its whole range.
        Last edited by thro; 21-02-2019, 04:43 PM.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post

edit:
          Given this does 10-120nm at +/- 4% accuracy, this would do pretty much all bike jobs:

Pretty sure i have that exact wrench. Being deflecting beam, it should be accurate across its whole range.
          This looks great, and a good price! Thanks
          ​You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

Comment

get a "warren and brown". deflecting beam. Unless corrected, they are made in Aus and are great quality. Blackwoods sell them. They are around the $220 mark.

Comment

Buy a 3/8th.

Comment

Originally posted by datsikk View Post
                get a "warren and brown". deflecting beam. Unless corrected, they are made in Aus and are great quality. Blackwoods sell them. They are around the $220 mark.
                Yup Warren and brown invented the deflecting beam.

Kincrome do a cheaper clone of the design that seems good (linked above) but if you can get Warren and brown that cheap that’s what I’d also suggest. Most of the Warren and brown I’ve seen advertised seem a lot more $$ than that though.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post

Depends what you're doing but 3/8" probably most useful compromise IMHO (as maz said)- if you can only buy one. 1/2" not really needed for anything smaller than axles... a lot of the smaller (easier to break) stuff probably best off with 1/4" - the bigger bolts will be more tolerant of "tight enough" torque. The small ones won't. Though as per last edit below - 3/8 will (may, check spec) go down to 10nm accurately - if it is deflecting beam.

If you only have 1/2" and/or 1/4" (i did for a while) for bike use you're likely to run into a lot of bolts that are the max or min adjustment of both wrenches - and thus the torque is likely inaccurate when the wrench is at min or max adjustment.

I'd also try and make sure to get something decent like a deflecting beam one, rather than one of the shitty spring ones that are probably never accurate.

Bear in mind that if you're near the end of the adjustment of any of them (especially the wind up spring tension ones) they won't be accurate. I measured my 1/2 inch to be about 30% out when it was on the edge of its adjustment for things better handled by my 3/8". I think that was for 22nm on 1/2" wrench.

My 3/8 is deflecting beam, the 1/4 and 1/2 are the wind-up spring click ones, i think i'm going to replace with the beam type because i think they're garbage and prone to going out of adjustment.

On the deflecting beam type there's not much to go wrong or out of adjustment... and you can't leave them tensioned accidentally (which causes the wind up ones to lose calibration) because they're only under load when you're using it.

This is the type i'm talking about:

https://wbtools.com.au/products/defl...rque-wrenches/

From memory the deflecting beam type wasn't really much more than the clicky spring loaded shitty type.

edit:

A very good take on it thro really an article on the subject pretty well what we use and so many bolts on bikes are only torqued to 10Nm.

Another tool although not used as much on modern bikes is an impact driver kincrome make a good one for around fifty dollars.

Stripped bolts and internal threads are expensive to fix even with heli coils use quality tools on your bikes.

Comment

3/8 and 1/4 for smaller nm required
                    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Working...
                    X