No announcement yet.

taking oil touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ In my experience with WD40 it never lasted long enough between applications to make it worth while and certainly dried up quicker on long runs.
    FarRider # 159,

Comment

Originally posted by gus96 View Post
      ^ In my experience with WD40 it never lasted long enough between applications to make it worth while and certainly dried up quicker on long runs.
      I did 2000-3000 km plus between applications from time to time Yes, it ran "dry" a lot.

When you do 600km commute/week, get home after dark and leave home late for work, skipping a few weeks/months of lubrication adds the kays up between applications fast.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

i would rather replace a chain every 2 years than use anything other than WD40.. i replace chains all the time, every time i replace a sprocket

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
          I did 2000-3000 km plus between applications from time to time Yes, it ran "dry" a lot.

When you do 600km commute/week, get home after dark and leave home late for work, skipping a few weeks/months of lubrication adds the kays up between applications fast.
          That is why I got the Scottoiler, when I bought the Bird I was doing over 600km a week just commuting before any other fun stuff and was keeping the old chain going with Penetrene to unfreeze the links and engine oil in a squirt can
          With the SO it's set and forget
          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
          Originally posted by Phildo
          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
          Originally posted by filbert
          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Too much chain lube?
            The older I get, the faster I was.
            2015 S1000XR
            2014 VStrom DL650

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bigfeet View Post
              Too much chain lube?
              Well that's what you get putting alloy sprockets on powerful and heavy bikes
              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
              Originally posted by Phildo
              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
              Originally posted by filbert
              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                I got about 65,000 km plus out of a chain with WD40 in 3 years. Chain did about 77,000, but the first 12 were with lube.

A single can, i'm pretty sure too.

By the time i got > 25,000 km i usually get with lube i got real slack with applying it.

Unlike lube, its a lot easier to clean off the wheels, too.
                I have only used CRC on my bikes, touring, road, race/drag and dirt for the last 30yrs + and have not had any issues or premature wear. In fact the dirt bikes have lasted significantly longer and everything stays cleaner.
                Not everyone agrees though which is why shops still sell chain lube I suppose.
                RR VRT #100
                Sponsors Wanted.
                Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
                A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Originally posted by gus96 View Post
                  he said Touring not running down to the shops
                  There is an old thread around here somewhere that will convert you to WD40. I have used it for years and 65,000kms out of my 1250 Bandit chain and sprockets and as some will tell you, I am not exactly gentle on the equipment.
                  Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

Originally posted by buelllord View Post

There is an old thread around here somewhere that will convert you to WD40. I have used it for years and 65,000kms out of my 1250 Bandit chain and sprockets and as some will tell you, I am not exactly gentle on the equipment.
                    I have read the thread. Tried it, not convinced it is as good as some claim. I will stick to Motul for the ZX14R .my touring bike FJR1300 has a shaft.

FarRider # 159,

Comment

Update: a little squeezy mustard bottle in a zip lock bag has been working great for the past few thousand kays. Fill it up with whatever lube you religiously subscribe to - it lasts forever and packs small.

I think mines got 75w-85 manual gearbox oil in there
                      Originally posted by devolved
                      I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Comment

Working...
                      X