Hydraulic clutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic clutches

Something Ive noticed recently, not many sportsbikes have an hydraulic clutch, SP1 & 2 and I think the new 04 fireblade but not many others, anyone know why, which is suppose to be better and why?

Hydraulic clutches are not as "quick" as the fly-by-wire clutches. Many people have different opinions about them. To me, the hydraulic clutch feels weird. But probably due to not being used to them.
    If you can... you MUST!

Comment

at a guess, (as not ever having tried a hydro clutch) is suggest that they would require less pressure thatn a mechanical one, however this would be at a cost of decreaced "feel" in the clutch. You wouldnt be able to feel the friction point through the clutch, just feel the bike start to take off. HOvemer im probably completly worng just like my spwelling. Ive drukn a few too many glasses of red tonight.

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

Most importanlty, they add wieght.

Those extra gramms all add up and as you know, on a sports bike, every gram counts. Hence the reason you dont get a fuel guage either!

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

heck, I dont even have a clock, thats got to be another gram or so, my lap times of perth have got to improve, surely.

Comment

yeah, the TLR has one as well, and they require a lot less pressure at the lever than a cable, so you will probably find that a lot of bigger capacity twins have them? i think dukes have them......... anyway, if it supposed to be easier than a cable, then i would hate to see mine with a cable. around town, the action is still heavy, and i find it harder to find the friction point than on my old blade. when it starts moving, that is where it is, i guess....

Comment

I had a R1 before this bike and the clutch action does feel different like you say, not so progressive, but you get use to it, the new fireblade will have it so who knows if its a twin thing. 8)
              Gotta luv the twins though.

Comment

oh yeah!! my mate has an SP1 and that is what made me try them out.

Comment

-My ZX7R clucth is hydraulic. Same with all ZXR750's prior to my 'P" model.
                  -ZX9R up until 98' also had a hydraulic action.
                  -YZF750 clutches r also hydraulic

I personally prefer cable due to the added 'feel' through the lever (cept when the bugger wears out) & the added fact theres less moving parts to operate the clutch and hence less to go wrong.

Also the hydraulic system made the simple task of removing my front sprocket a pric of a job.....damm slave cylinder didnt want to budge

Comment

Seems like a few bikes have it then, fortunately hav'nt had to remove front sprocket, cooool.

Comment

Umm, a little-known manufacturer called "Ducati" use them on a handful of their bikes, too.

Comment

sorry dude, forgot about the little ones, actually saw one today out at Mundaring weir, thought it might have been you but noticed once he pulled up it was 916. Few bikes out that way today.

Comment

The main reason most sportsbikes have cable is as Deej said weight, though they can also be adjusted easily and the friction point can be adjusted to where you like it.
                          My Blackbird has a hydraulic clutch and I find it is only slightly lighter to operate than R1 or Blade.
                          As not being able feel the friction point on a hydraulic clutch it just that your not used to it, after a few kms you wound'nt no the diffrence.

Comment

SP500: i was out there sunday morning. might have seen u....i was in a group with my zx7, zx9, cbr929 & a zzr250

Comment

Working...
                            X