Chain cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain cleaning.

What would be the best way to clean the chain? I currently use Belray chain lube. the white one that does not fling off. i have been happy with it but it makes the chain all white if you over do it. I also have some brown stuff on the chain. No it is not rust but seems to be clinging to the chain lube. that is why i am asking if you guys clean ya chains.

Do you guys clean you chain every so often or do you just pack the chain with lube? Also how long do chains normally last for if they are looked after correctly?

Masda74
    Masda74

I haven't tried this but seen posts regarding this from people in the know..

Motorex avail from Cuaseway.. Meant to be a bit expensive but worth every penny. Anyway I used to use WD40 to clean my chain, but then got told off by someone... Now I use Kero. Kero cleans it off very well... To do it properly you do need to take chain off and soak it overnight... I've done this once and what a difference!

Anyway ask Madmax about the Motorex stuff, apparently it goes on Hot/Cold. I personally have BelRay, but its almost out so will be using Motorex
    Will you insure me?!

Comment

I've been using kero, gets the old stuff off + the crap attached to it. Then let it dry for a few minutes and put new lube on.

--EDIT--

I use a paint brush dipped in kero to clean the chain well.

8)
      Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

I am sure i can see this coming but about Kero. where to get it and how much? Causeway right?

Masda74
        Masda74

Comment

I got mine off the shelf from the local supermarket... 1 litre bottle.
          Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

I am sure i can see this coming but about Kero. where to get it and how much? Causeway right?

Masda74
            ur joking right?

local hardward, bunnings, anwhere!!!!

bog-standard kerosene

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

Comment

heheheheheheh i thot kero is a brand LOL
              but u guys mean normal kerosene??? hehehehehhe :oops:
              Gankaz DaOgre

Gallery

Comment

I wouldn't steep the chain over night as the kero or whatever may find it's way into the internal rollers stripping out the grease that was put there when the chain was made,Chain lube only lubes the outer parts of the chain and sprokets and the inner part is supposed to be lubed solely by the grease inside the rollers ( O rings are supposed to keep the grease in and keep the shit out ) .....I am no expert but this is my theory anyone confirm or deny :?: :?:

Wiping with a kero/solvent soaked rag with the chain on the bike should be good enough unless youv'e be into the sand or something....

my 2 cents worth

Comment

Wiping with a kero/solvent soaked rag with the chain on the bike should be good enough unless youv'e be into the sand or something....
                  Then I recommend removing the chain, rather than sitting there for hours with a toothbrush!

Comment

i just use an old pair of jocks or something with kero, don't use harsh solvents like petrol cos they might damage the o rings. I clean mine every 2-3 lubes, just stick it up on the rear stand and spin the wheel with my hand. U'r only getting the excess and road crap off so don't go overboard. whatever you do don't get lazy and get tempted to start her up, kick her into gear and let the chain run through the rag. That might sound obvious but there are some very stupid ppl out there and a few of them don't have fingers

Comment

i just use an old pair of jocks or something with kero, don't use harsh solvents like petrol cos they might damage the o rings. I clean mine every 2-3 lubes, just stick it up on the rear stand and spin the wheel with my hand. U'r only getting the excess and road crap off so don't go overboard. whatever you do don't get lazy and get tempted to start her up, kick her into gear and let the chain run through the rag. That might sound obvious but there are some very stupid ppl out there and a few of them don't have fingers
                      so hooter..... how many finger's you got?

we talkin about a past mistake by any chance?

Comment

no we isnt :!:

but i know plenty of ppl that wouldn't think twice before atempting a maneauvor like that

Comment

but i know plenty of ppl that wouldn't think twice before atempting a maneauvor like that
                          you hear that gordo??? dont even think about it...besides..i dont think tractors have chains

Comment

you hear that gordo??? dont even think about it...besides..i dont think tractors have chains
                            I can assure you Cad my John Deer has a chain right next to the plough attachment ya cheeky baldy twat

Oh and the sound of a V twin is shitloads better than the sound of a fucked blade :twisted:

Comment

I can assure you Cad my John Deer has a chain right next to the plough attachment ya cheeky baldy twat

Oh and the sound of a V twin is shitloads better than the sound of a fucked blade :twisted:
                              the sound of the blade screaming past you? i didnt think it was that bad

Comment

Working...
                              X