Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torque wrench question - Nothing to do with the movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque wrench question - Nothing to do with the movie!

Just wondering how many of you guys use use a torque wrench when working on your bike. I have a workshop manual for my bike it gives torque values for practically every nut and bolt. And they do tend to vary quite a bit. If you just used 'feel' you would be way off in most cases.

How many of you actually do this for things like wheel axle bolts, chain adjuster, oil drain plug etc.??

KENNARDS HIRE - Make Your Job EASY!

Re: Torque wrench question - Nothing to do with the movie!

Only for head bolts, conrods, main bearing caps and cam caps.
    The main reason is to get consistent torque rather than the actual torque figure but in these places it also ensures you get the correct oil clearances and pressure.

Comment

Torque settings

What about things like brake calipers mounts etc where there are serious forces to cope with it?

KENNARDS HIRE - Make Your Job EASY!

Comment

Re: Torque settings

What about things like brake calipers mounts etc where there are serious forces to cope with it?
        Nope.
        I probably should add that I've been working on my bikes since '83 but even then I never used torque wrenches.
        Last weekend I was helping a mate get his bike ready for Sunday and I couldn't believe how tight he does bolts up. I needed an extension bar and hammer to undo the rear axle!

Comment

Just breaking up the avatars... Too many right hand corners in this thread...

Oh.. and I've only ever used a torque wrench on engines - never bothered with other parts of the bike... Just be sure they won't come loose...
          Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Just breaking up the avatars... Too many right hand corners in this thread...
            I'll see if Brian White can get a decent shot in the left hander this weekend. I need to swap the pic for one of the Blade anyway :-)

Comment

it's allways a good idea to use a torque wrench on any bolt holding bearings, especially front axel. if you over-do the front axel you will probably find that the bike will want to weave, and if you take your hands off the handelbars, at certain speeds it'll tankslap..... it took me a long time to figure out why my old bike was doing that....

Comment

it's allways a good idea to use a torque wrench on any bolt holding bearings
                I agree that you need to be sure to not over tighten them but I don't think it needs a torque wrench for that. If you can't undo the axle with the short spanner provided in the kit then it's too tight.

Comment

Working...
                X