Taking off wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking off wheels

So... yeah i don't know anything about bikes but i've learnt alot in the past week but now a new problem arises.

How do I take off the wheels (in particular the front) without a race stand? anybody done it before and got ideas? or should i stop being stingey and buy 1 or 2 race stands

buy the stands unless you want to use a rope and crate to tilt the bike over.not worth risking the bike falling over or you could use a pully which i have used only in an emergency,spend the $$$ and do it the right way.

Comment

i use a forklift and straps..... but that probably isn't going to help everyone. if not u can do it the dodgy way. buy some looped nylon straps that'll hold 400kg, then work out a pulley and hang it from a rafter

Comment

Get 2 paddock stands and do it the right way...

Makes life a lot easier and safer.
        Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

hahah ok, i'll get the stands then. i saw the plans for them in another thread but i don't have a welder. know of anywhere else i can get them for relatively cheap?

Comment

something else that could work but alot cheaper. the ropes with the ratchet thing to tighten, i got a cheap one for about $10 bucks thats supposed to be good for 400 kg's. car jacks and a plank of wood can work good depending on bike.
            Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Re: Taking off wheels

How do I take off the wheels (in particular the front) without a race stand? anybody done it before and got ideas? or should i stop being stingey and buy 1 or 2 race stands
              Where abouts are you? I'm in Cannington.
              I've got stands but I've got to change my tyres this week myself so I'd rather not lend them out. You're welcome to drop by if it helps though otherwise drop me a note next week and you can borrow them then.

Comment

awesome, i'm in rossmoyne but it's not really anything urgent. I just want to check if the gear thing (don't know what it's called) for the speedometer in the front wheel is worn. I'll pm you if i can't find one cheers

Comment

awesome, i'm in rossmoyne but it's not really anything urgent. I just want to check if the gear thing (don't know what it's called) for the speedometer in the front wheel is worn. I'll pm you if i can't find one cheers
                  Easy - unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo and ride around the block. You'll be able to see if the inner is spinning. Grab hold of it though as even if it's broken it might still spin from friction at the break.

Comment

oh good idea, i might try that sometime, thanks

Comment

hahah ok, i'll get the stands then. i saw the plans for them in another thread but i don't have a welder. know of anywhere else i can get them for relatively cheap?
                      speak to Calvin... he makes em up and sells em for $80 each... i got one.. werks a treat

Comment

cool, i've figured that its the gear inside the wheel that is making my speedo and odo not work so i'll get around to taking off the wheel sometime. but i've just run into a new problem my bike just stalls when it sits at idle or it's revs drop below 3000. could this be caused by fouled spark plugs or something wrong with the fuel system. I took it for a ride just then and everything was fine for about 5 minutes then it just died. any ideas?

Comment

Ignition would definitely play some part in it, check plug gaps and whether they're fouled. If they're really fouled you'll need to run a heat range hotter.

Comment

Working...
                          X