Clear All

• DIY fairing repair & touch up howto

Is there anyone out there knowledgable and with
    a bit of time to write out a howto on repairing
    fairing?

For instance:
    a) Can bits broken off fairing be DIY glued/welded
    back on, if so how?
    What's the best way to fill/smooth out scratches?
    c) What's the best paint to use?
    d) Should you forget it and save up for new plastic?

-Goof

P.S. I didn't drop it, I bought it that way -honest.

I believe HERE is what you seek.
    If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Thanks, that covers a) nicely. For filling and painting can you just use the same filler & paint from Marlows as you would on a car?

-Goof

Comment

paint and filler would have to be "2 pack" (no not the dead rapper !!)

Your best bet would be to PM Gohan (Leroy) on this forum as he is da man for that stuff and I belive his prices and quality are second to none.......

( Leroy remember - big discount for me if I ever need it )

Comment

Ok... for painting refer HERE
          If you can... you MUST!

Comment

just about all platics can be welded.you will at least need to get the bits you have welded then you can play around with the rest.dont try glue or weld it yourself as theres a few types of plastics.you need the right type of rod to weld.glueing wont hold S..T.the rest you can try do yourself if you want to save money,but remember it aint the same as getting it done right.pm me if you want advice.

Comment

I have one word for Plastic DIY repairs: "PLASTEX"!!!

I gaurantee this is the strongest shit on the market, you basically 'make' plastic, u can even sand it.

After i flipped my rgv i snapped the upper part of my upper cowl (part holding the mirror) and also the part that runs down the side. repaired both with plastex and sanded back, did all the painting myself using custom cans, sanded back with 2000 grit etc etc and came out VERY well i was impressed but shit it took a lot of time. U couldnt even tell where the pieces were snapped. This is also the best product to act as a 'filler' through my experiences with plastic as u can sand it back and not even notice where you did the repair work.

You can buy different sized kits, i bought the one for $70 (bought black as it contains carbon fibre and is the strongest) and it lasts longer than u expect for the amount u get. Small kit is $28 but the $70 kit is A LOT better value

I really could woffle on about it, but until you go out and give it a try to witness this amazing product you'll see what im on about. Good analogy for it would be it acts like lava in the way it flows.

I bought my kit at rick gills, a few motorcycle shops sell it. u can even order it online but there page seems to be down.

Remember...PLASTEX!
              i think i should be getting a commision of em now

Comment

Thank you Klink, I have now extracted a digit, browsed the rest of that
                site and saved all the pages for future reference.

Thanks to gohan, I have to say your bike at Barbagello certainly stands
                out, assuming it is the one in the avatar, so I might well get back to
                you with the offer to PM when I get around to this.

In my case we're talking about a 12 year old bike with the start of
                rattles in the engine. I'm not sure it's worth the $1,500 for 'getting it
                done right'. I just want to tidy it up a bit.

Will check out stinker's idea too.

-Goof

Comment

In my case we're talking about a 12 year old bike with the start of
                  rattles in the engine. I'm not sure it's worth the $1,500 for 'getting it
                  done right'. I just want to tidy it up a bit.

where did you get that price from? :shock: id be a rich man if i could charge that sort of $$$$

Comment

where did you get that price from? :shock: id be a rich man if i could
                    charge that sort of $$$$
                    In chatting to the guys from a panel shop that just did an insurance
                    repair on my car. That was for a complete repair & respray, including
                    tank, etc. I thought I'd heard similar figures mentioned elsewhere.

-Goof

Comment

If you are going for DIY the other alternative to Plastex is DEVCON Plastic Welding, Devcon Plastic Steel etc..

There is a huge range of Devcon stuff. I used the Plastic steel which seriosuly dries so hard you can drill it and insert bolts etc into it. Panel beaters use it.

Basically its the best value, and its damn good.
                      Will you insure me?!

Comment

Working...
                      X