Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake upgrade

Hello everyone,
    As some will know the OEM brakes on a Honda Firestorm (VTR 1000) leave a lot to be desired. On talking to people on another site they recomended changing to calipers off the GSXR 1000 (6 pot), the VTR 1000 standards are 4 pot.
    I have been told this is a straight changeover, but the guy who said that, changed his to GSXR 750 (4 pot). Does anyone know if the 1000 fit straight onto the 750 and if you need to change the master cylinder over.

Thanks
    Rod
    Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Hello everyone,
    As some will know the OEM brakes on a Honda Firestorm (VTR 1000) leave a lot to be desired. On talking to people on another site they recomended changing to calipers off the GSXR 1000 (6 pot), the VTR 1000 standards are 4 pot.
    I have been told this is a straight changeover, but the guy who said that, changed his to GSXR 750 (4 pot). Does anyone know if the 1000 fit straight onto the 750 and if you need to change the master cylinder over.

Thanks
    Rod
    [/b]
    I don't know about the calipers, but I would say that the swept volume of the master cylinders wopuld be different.
    See if you can grab a radial master cylinder from the same Gix while you are getting the brakes.

Comment

Thanks Desmogod,

Got this info of Superhawk Forum in US

2002 1000 GSXR, gold six pot. Direct bolt up. No grinding.

05 GSXR calipers won't work since they're radial mount. The overall consensus among industry journalists as well as racers is that the 4 pot Nissin calipers as used on the RC51, 929, 954, etc. are superior to the 6 pot calipers used on the 01 and 02 GSXR; the RC51, 929 and, especially the 954 consistently received rave reviews for their great brakes.

So going from what these guys are saying gsxr1000 will mount straight on but I should look for the earlier non radial mount ones, which I think is 2000-2002 models.
      Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Thanks
        Rod
        [/b]
        Why not try brakes off another Honda? They might fit up with no mods required.

The brakes on a 954 Fireblade are absolutely awesome. I've ridden a 2004 GSXR1000 back to back with the blade and I think the blade's brakes are superior (of course the fact the 954 has 330mm discs - ie. larger than most other sportbikes - might help).
        "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

I don't know what they're all talking about.

I have a K2 GSXR and, admittedly I have braided lines, I dun have a problem with the brakes. Pretty sure others will tell you that my brakes seem to work pretty well.

When the K1 and K2 Gixxer thou's came out, the only thing anyone could find to fault them was their brakes. They said they felt "wooden" compared to others, but trust me, they are still sportsbike brakes and will still stand the thing on it's nose without a problem.

If they bolt straight onto yours w/out any mods needed, just get some braided lines with them. Or before you go that far, you could try braided lines for your standard brakes. Trust me, they make a huge difference.
          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
          In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
          Amen, brother. Amen.
          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

How often have you been bleeding your brakes? Cheap and easy way to improve brake performance if you haven't done it for some time.

Comment

The best upgrade you can make to your brakes is a radial master cylinder off a modern bike.

That is the information I have gleamed from people who have been attempting to upgrade the rgv brakes. The rgv used the 4 pot version of the calipers you are talking about (the 6 pots were on the busa and various other bikes such as some of the zx9's/zx7's and the tl1000r). It's a common mod to rgvs, as they are a 90mm bolt centre spacing, the same as the RGV. From people who have done that mod, they found that braking was improved, but that a set of rebuild standard calipers was nearly as good, and dont require as much mainenance (apparently problems with the dust seals or something on the 6 pots) but also that upgrading to a modern radial master cylinder gave much more in the way of brake feel and stopping power.

Calipers are one of those things that are quite universal, as they are often similar specifications and also are used on multiple bikes/brands.

edit: This comment is made with the assumption that you have already considered (as do I) that decent pads and braided lines are a generally added as a matter of course.
              No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Do you have braided lines? Get braided lines and flush and bleed barkes regulary every 10 000kms or 12 months whichever comes first minium the number of people that give me an odd look when I tell them this is intresting. How many Km's has the bike done you could also look at different pads and maybe consider sintered metal ones. They do however shorten the life of your disk. With mounting up other calipers where the bolts holes line up to and the disk/wheels offset is very important fortunatly most manufacturers use the same size fron wheel and disks.
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

I changed to braided lines on my 04 gsxr1000 with better feel but not much better outright performance 2 weeks later put EBC pads on worth every cent much better value for money than the braided lines for the street that is. On the track the braided lines come into their own.

Comment

I have braided lines, OEM pads and fully rebuilt calipers and the stock VTR setup is still crap, 01/02 GSXR1k brakes are a direct bolt on while 954/929/RC51 4 pots need a "slight" grind to the exterior of the caliper, either way you will be getting a massive increase in performance. I will be ebaying a set soon myself.

Comment

So apparently the 05/06 gixxer thou forks are a straight swap.
                      can even use the same front wheel, discs and mudguard.

Comment

Working...
                      X