Headlight Globes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Globes

Ok, so the bike headlights on my zxr 2 fiddy blow goats (Thats a technical term) The globes are due for changing, as they are old, dim and just suck.

What I want to know is, how far up the power range can you go on a bike before you start stressing the electrics? Can I rip out the old globes (from memory they are 55/60), and put in a set of 100/130's?

Are there any sets that people would recommend to someone who will be riding almost daily out along gnangara rd and beechboro rd, where there are a lot of roo's, and where it would be good to have decent visibility?

Or do I just bung in a high power set and see if the system can drive them at full intensity?
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

I don't think your battery will last too long.

I wasn't overly impressed with the TRX's 60/55w globe so I went and got a Phillips BlueVision globe. Claims to give the same visibility as 110/100w.
    Am pretty happy with it. Seems a little brighter on low beam but a fair bit better on high beam.
    They are $30 as compared to $8, I rekon it was worth it. Stands out to cagers better too.

Note: It's not a rice-boy blue, it's a good white light.
    sigpic

Comment

Ok... you not only have to worry about flattening your battery but melting your wiring harness too. Especially if its an older bike.
      If you can... you MUST!

Comment

So is there any way to find the upper limit, or do i just try swapping the globes from the car into the bike and see if the wiring gets hot, or anything untoward happens?
        Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Comment

Well you'll find the upper limit when you hear the fuse go.

If as Klink sez you can burn out the wiring you might not notice the wiring getting hot straight away, but may burn it out on a long ride.
          Guess it's up to you how much you want to fiddle around.
          Either way you are going to up the drain on the battery.
          When it come to electrical stuff & motorbikes, Murphy's Law comes into play too often for my liking. Hence I just got a better globe.

I guess you could always rewire the headlight it you really wanted to.

Wonder if anyone has put bigger globes in and had no problems?
          sigpic

Comment

Would be interesting to know the margin that the system would have to deal with larger draw, in that it would be good to know the add ons that could be done to the bike.

I mean, how would people get things like hot-grips, neons and all the rest fitted to their bikes if there wasnt enuf of a margin? How would 2 uprated globes compare to running hot-grips or neons on the bike?

Comment

just a little warning before you go buy any bulbs.
              zx2r don't use H4, its equipped with H4R's the lugs are slightly different so the H4's won't fit without modding it.
              so good luck in finding the higher watt/intensity bulb for the zx2r

Comment

Im a dab hand with a pair of tinsnips, have sliced my hands at least 3 times in the last couple days with them, and i would imagine the blood effects would make the headlights look awesome then

Comment

I'd just buy a new bike.

Comment

i keep trying to tell him that Chris, but he is just a tight-arse.....

Comment

He learned from the best mate.

Comment

Bought a house, no room for a new bike just yet

Im struggling to get the rear shock fixed let alone a new bike :roll:

Comment

bah humbug, look what being in debt did for me!!

now, where the hell did my newspaper duvet go to.....

Comment

I played with bigger watts and gave me greif so i went and purchased those blue globes normal wattage 55/60 from the US which are frowend apon here and the difference is very noticable even on low get flashed all the time..

Eaglite plasma xenon they are gas filled not blue tint on the glass..

Hope it helped....

"Nothing to see here move along"

Comment

chester: Just wondering what you did to fix your lights? ... one of mine has just "popped its pooper" (that too is a technical term) so I might replace both of them with something better.

Comment

Working...
                              X