Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ummmm spockets anyone ??

ok.... i have a stupid newbie question :oops:

I have been told I should put chainless sprockets on..

what are chainless sprockets ??? (pls dont say sprockets) wat do they do ??
    are they worth it ?? why would I need them ? and is $250 a for Front, rear and "o" ring a good price ??

I ahev a 92 ZX2R..

any help would be great
    Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

are you sure they didn't say "chain AND sprockets" ?

Sprockets are the geary thingos with teeth that make your rear wheel go around. You need a chain to connect the engine sprocket to the rear wheel sprocket.

I'm so technically minded it's scary.

Comment

Yeh Hewie I'd say melkor has hit it on the head. You will find they ment that you should put new 'CHAIN & SPROCKETS' on. Never heard of a 'Chainless Sprocket' befor.

As for the price............................ (deeeep breath).......... go speak to Pete at Causeway Honda, tell him Perth Extreme sent ya, he will give you a price. His email can be found from our main page on the site.

Deej

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

u are scarey melkor :

ermmm ok thanx guys .. i dont gets it tho as i just had a new sprocket put on and the chain is fine .. well so ive been told

i spoke to pete @ cause way honda he came up with about $280 ..

would I need a "O" ring to change the drive chain and gear ?

I thought they might of meant the gear box sprockets and bands ??

I will go back to them and clartify..

thanx for the advice ..

Comment

I think they are talking about the type of chain being an "O ring" type, where there are small "O rings" in the links...

Comment

thanx dragon..

I will have to do a bit of asking around ...

cheers for the advice guys .. appreciate it..

Comment

"o" ring chains basically last a hell of a lot longer as they use small rubbers on each link to stop dirt and crap getting in between them. They are more expensive but will save you in the long run. Some of the riders up at wanneroo raceway get a good couple of years out of them!!

Comment

I saw a chainless sproket once, but it was when some dude's chain decided to jump ship on the freeway !!!
                Oh and on that note I don't reccomend them as he had to have his bike picked up and taken home so there are some downsides to "chainless Sprokets " Hewie !!!

Comment

ok ... i found out wat they were talking about .. and thought it might interest you for future ref .. well maybe

chainless sprockets .. is apparently the removal of the chain between the engine and front sproket and replacing it with more sprockets .. in effect making the enigne the front cog direct drive.. thus smoothing the power transfer ...and hence the requirment for "o" ring .. i think thats right

just in case ur interested ..

Comment

so what kind of medication you on hewie or your just being sarcastic :roll

Comment

Whatever it is, I want some cos thats some heavy shit.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

i can get u some if u want ..... its pretty cheap and very good gear ..

but seriously i was just repeating wat i was told .... in a less than coherent way i admit...

i'll try harder next time to make less sense...

Comment

WTF ?
                          You lost me Hewie...

Comment

ok ...

lets see if i can explain this rite .. and remember .. this concept is second hand info

apparently .. in the engine case.. the power is transfered from the gear box to the front sprocket via chain and sprocket arrangement.... so the front sproket is on the outside and under the casing at the back u have another cog and chain..

when they were talking about a "chainless sproket" they were tlaking about removing this second chain and sprocket set and putting in their place a set of cogs..... so then u have the power from the gear box transfered directly to the front sprocket..

this is meant to smooth out the power as the internal chain flexes slightly and the cogs dont ...

ummmm yeah... does that make a bit more sense .. (i hope)

Comment

Yor not thinking of the cam chain are ya?? :? :?

My gear box ain't got a chain in it...

its made of gears setup on shafts which mesh in differing patterns to change the ratio from the motor to the drive sprocket where the 'final drive' chain goes around...
                              Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Working...
                              X