No announcement yet.

How to tell if you need new sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if you need new sprockets?

In need of a new chain, it's stretched past the "replace chain" marker (oops) and need to know whether to replace the sprockets aswell as the chain.

What are the signs to look for in telling if the sprockets are in need of replacement? Any recommendations? The guy at the shop said you're better off getting new sprockets at the same time as you do a new chain.

(On a side note, can anyone recommend a sticky tyre that's not real expensive?)
    mmmmm sacrilicious

look at the teeth... they get hooked...
    how many k's u done on that chain and sprockets... is it the smae sprockets u had with that chain all the way???

also cheap sticky tyre - silicone ur old ones all over...

Comment

Yep. General rule is to change sprockets at the same time at the chain. Did mine recently, and even though back was still about 85% still changed it - and my chain hadn't stretched all that far, just had a hell tight spot in it.
      Note tho that a new chain on worn sprockets won't last too long.
      Word of warning tho - check they've given you the right ones before you cut the chain... :roll:
      If only the young knew; If only the old could

Comment

Cant remember how many k's I've done, about 6,000 maybe.

Myd, same, fucken tight spot. I'm just gonna 5-star or prestige to do it I think, I need a new front tyre, chain & sprockets and a service so may as well just get it all cleaned up at once and not have to worry about it.. I dont have tools etc so *shrug*

cheers
        mmmmm sacrilicious

Comment

Cant remember how many k's I've done, about 6,000 maybe.
          6000 to a chain :?: :!: WTF you doing on that bike... and what sort of chain you put on it?

Myd, same, fucken tight spot. I'm just gonna 5-star or prestige to do it I think, I need a new front tyre, chain & sprockets and a service so may as well just get it all cleaned up at once and not have to worry about it.. I dont have tools etc so *shrug*

cheers
          Ahh, I was lucky there. Good mate with all the tools, knowledge & experience to help me with services and stuff
          If only the young knew; If only the old could

Comment

simple

Chain fucked = Sprockets fucked

Never put a new chain on old sprockets.

Comment

On the inside of the back cover of the latest AMCN there is an add for AFAM sprockets with a lifetime warranty. If they wear out they will replace them. You just have to pay for the chain.
              You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

hrm.....i've always been a believer in the old "change them all together"
                but it could be the moto-x bike background....
                if your getting tight spots then maybe try lubing the chain once in a while
                or use an o-ring chain.
                No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

If your sprocket looks like this:

BTW what would have caused the chain to dig into the side of the sprocket like that?

Comment

Originally posted by fooze@Nov 2 2005, 09:44 PM
                    BTW what would have caused the chain to dig into the side of the sprocket like that?
                    [snapback]181454[/snapback]
                    Maybe a miss-aligned rear wheel?

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                    your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

Ask Dr Evil to post his rear sproket pic, that is a sign that you need to replace it.

Comment

Ha ha, I should have taken a picture of mine before I got it replaced a few weeks ago. It had virtually no teeth left. I was very light on the throttle riding to Tyres for Bikes

Comment

My chain developed a stiff link in 2 places, so last tuning day a run the chain slightly tighter than usual. By the end of the day all teeth where hooked and 3 teeth tips where missing. Well and truly farrked.
                          I changed the lot, chain & sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Infusi0n@Nov 4 2005, 09:04 AM
                            Ask Dr Evil to post his rear sproket pic, that is a sign that you need to replace it.
                            [snapback]182251[/snapback]
                            This is how you know when you need a new rear sprocket

I got through two chains on this one sprocket, but early MVs use chains that were a little lightweight for the rest of the bike. Note; this is an ali sprocket, so teeth actually shear off, instead of steel, where the teeth thin first, then bend.

If you adjust the chain and lube it regularly the chain and sprocket will have a longer life, the size of the chain compared to the power of the bike will also influence this. The old MV sprockets, though a little thinner than the new ones (with 530 chains) aren't proportionally as weak as the chain, so the chain stretches excessively first. Thats why when i changed my chain the time before the photo, the sprocket was still pretty sweet. Given that the new chain survived as long as the last one the 1/2 worn sprocket didn't seem to screw it too much. (If you have ever priced an MV sprocket you will also understand why this was a good idea)
                            <div align="center">
                            "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Evil@Nov 9 2005, 10:35 PM
                              This is how you know when you need a new rear sprocket

[snapback]185462[/snapback]
                              FARK!! My Grandma has better teeth than that!!

...having dinner with KARMA tonight...

Comment

Working...
                              X