Crank Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Repairs

Can anyone reccomend a good crank repairer.

The ZX10 has spun 2 big end bearings and needs fixing real quick (fuck I hate the cage).

I've rung a couple of people and have been given the options of having the dodgy journals welded and ground back or having the journals ground down and custom bearings made.

Any feed back on who is good for this sort of thing or which option to take would be great

Thanks

would a new crankshaft be an option ?? Or is it too pricey ?

Comment

Mr. Kawasaki is asking a couple of grand for a new one, even with discount its still 1700 bucks.

Does anyone local do billet cranks?

Comment

Mr. Kawasaki is asking a couple of grand for a new one, even with discount its still 1700 bucks.

im imagining that a billet crank would be ALOT more then $1700

Comment

im imagining that a billet crank would be ALOT more then $1700
          Looking at the amount of machine work needed for a motorcycle crank I image it would be, but if you don't ask you will never know.

Comment

i imagine the billet would be pretty expensive to begin with! due to it's size.
            but i've seen custom billet yokes from only 80 pound...
            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Being such an old bike. wouldn't it be better off getting a second hander from the wreckers.

Comment

Being such an old bike. wouldn't it be better off getting a second hander from the wreckers.
                Not that easy to find, all the speedway boys snap them up for the sidecars.

Looks like I will be getting the damaged journals metal sprayed and ground. Appears to be the best option without causing to much additional stress on the crank itself.

Comment

2 grand, faaaaarrrk :o

Have you tried Ebay, the US one??? Always heaps of ZZR stuff on there (and stuff for the older Kwakas)

Comment

2 grand, faaaaarrrk :o

Have you tried Ebay, the US one??? Always heaps of ZZR stuff on there (and stuff for the older Kwakas)
                    I'm a cerified ebay addict, not as bad as some though......

ZZR1100's use a different diameter (larger) big end and have a different number of teeth on the primary drive gear, which means stuffing around with clutch baskets, drive ratio's etc.

I' have it on good authority that the zzr1100 motor will fit in without too much fuss, just need a cheap repairable one

Comment

wouldn't it be easier to buy a new bike ?

Comment

wouldn't it be easier to buy a new bike ?
                        Yes, but the "finance commitee" can't reach a unanimous decsion.....

Comment

ok then I recommend investing a small amout in a black ski mask and a realistic model gun then approach the nearest bank and make a substantual withdrawal :twisted:

Comment

ok then I recommend investing a small amout in a black ski mask and a realistic model gun then approach the nearest bank and make a substantual withdrawal :twisted:
                            WTB: Ski mask, colour unimportant, but prefer black...........................

Comment

Working...
                            X