Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my clutch fuked?

Hey guys,

i've got an NSR250R and i've noticed at low speeds ~40km/h n lower wen i don't accelerate and don't pull the clutch in i hear a clicking sound as if something is loose or even broken. but wen i pull the clutch in the sound goes away.

The thing is i have a wet clutch.

does any1 know if this is normal or if there is somefing wrong??
    RiDe HaRd n RiDe FaSt Or DoN't RiDe At AlL!!!

I dunno wat i'm doing >_<

could perhaps be something to do with your friction plates being worn...but you would likely have noticed the clutch slipping if thats the case.
    do you have much freeplay on the clutch lever?
    does this only happen in neutral, or when it's in gear and rolling too ?
    No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Multi plate clutch running in an oil bath - if the plates were worn there would be slipping (ie lotsa revs but the bike doesnt go anywhere fast).

Could be the bearing or one of the clutch pack springs has worked loose.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

-> do you have much freeplay on the clutch lever?

eerr wat do you mean by this? sorry i derno much about bikes.

nah it doesn't happen wen i'm in neutral... only wen it's in gear and rolling around 40km/h n less. It's a rattling sound but goes away wen i accelerate or pull the clutch in.

Another question.. i've noticed that my exhaust pipes have excess oily residue (almost dripping) and that a lot of smoke pours out. i'm wondering if it's to do with the ratio of oil mixing with the petrol because i have separate reservoirs for oil n petrol. if so how do i adjust the amount of oil mixing wif da petrol?

cheers[/quote]

Comment

I'm not trying to be funny here...

but that could be the chain u hear?? when u accelerate it takes up the slack.... and as for only happening when ur going slow - theres not too much wind noise so u can hear it :idea: :?:

Comment

could also be a gearbox issue, or perhaps something else in the engine, that is affected by it being under load (piston, crank etc...but unlikely)
            if you dont know much about bikes (freeplay is to do with how much you can pull the lever in before it has an effect) then i would suggest taking it to someone who does.
            otherwise you will probably spend a lot of time getting nowhere.
            if possible, have someone you know look at it, or ask the mechanic if you can watch him work. at least that way you might get bit of an idea of what does what.

Comment

ok im not 100 % sure but ive had a couple of two strokes, my 2c if you want it would be to check you gear oil. if it is continuing to lose gear oil then, that could explain the amount of oil and smoke coming out of the exhaust. If that is happening then your crank seal could be leaking gear oil into the engine, and the lack of gear oil is what could making that ticking noise at low speed. If the crank seal is gone, im not sure how much it costs to get fixed but usually, what causes it to fail is a problem with the big end and main bearings. But it might not be the case. i would get the bike checked by someone who knows what they are on about.

:? :?
              Hope it nothing but!
              I feel sick went my bike feels sick!

Comment

Another question.. i've noticed that my exhaust pipes have excess oily residue (almost dripping) and that a lot of smoke pours out. i'm wondering if it's to do with the ratio of oil mixing with the petrol because i have separate reservoirs for oil n petrol. if so how do i adjust the amount of oil mixing wif da petrol?
                cheers
                [/b][/quote]

if you touch your oil mixture ratios bullshit yadi yadi yadi!you will fuck your bike up :roll: dont touch it.the clutch noise will most likely be a worn basket(this is what holds the clutch plates etc)its a 2 stroker and most of them have been hammered and everything is loose and worn.i,ve had a few RGV,S and every single one had some kind of noise coming out of the clutch side.if you have ever fouled the plugs on the bike its because you are riding under 4000 rpm.this could be why you have the oil residue out the pipes.you need to redline every now and then to clean the pipes out.i never use to ride the bike under 4000rpm as i learnt my lesson with my first bike.pushing 1 hr to a mechanic to change the plugs :twisted:
                you should take it to a mechanic just to be on the safe side

Comment

hmmm...i thought the damn thing idles at around 4000rpm :?:

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys...

yeah gohan mate you're right hey.. i've learnt my lesson alreadi coz only a few weeks ago i fouled a plug n had to get it towed home
                    so yeah i ride my bike like crazy now

hhrrmm if like you say the basket is worn issit a major prob? n how much would it cost to fix? (i'm a poor bastard at the moment :oops: )

cheers

Comment

hhrrmm if like you say the basket is worn issit a major prob? n how much would it cost to fix? (i'm a poor bastard at the moment  :oops: )
                      cheers
                      depends on whats wrong with the clutch as to how much it will cost.it also depends on which mechanic you go to :? if you aint got much $$$ then you need to sell the bike because the NSR is a high maintainence bike.more so than the RGV,S and getting parts will cost you more :cry:

Comment

often the clutch basket can have grooves worn into it by the plates. general concensus on another forum (for rz's which is an older yamaha 2-stroke) that i'm on, is to give the basket a bit of a file to take the notches off.
                        only to a certain extent of course.
                        tho i cant see how a worn clutch basket could cause your problem.
                        the oily residue may mean that you aren't riding it hard enough, but it could also mean your bike is misfiring or you might be in need of new plugs.
                        or you could be using shit oil
                        you are using purpose designed 2-stroke oil aren't you?
                        not gear oil or something silly.
                        go for castrol TTS
                        has to be one of the best 2 stroke oils around.
                        and it doesn't deposit much carbon, or smoke much.
                        plus is smells gr8

Comment

hhrmm i just wanna know if it's somefing i need to concern myself with? coz it doesn't effect my performance, Just that the sound gets a bit on my nerves. And on the note about freeplay.. i only need to pull my clutch in about midway to get "effect"... so my clutch is good?? :?

well i just changed my sparkies and i am using the most expensive oil.. castrol racing. I guess i haven't been riding it hard enough... however, sometimes one cylinder seems to run smoothly while the other is a bit slower?

cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X