Changing gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing gears

Is it really bad to change gears wiothout using the clutch on a motorbike?? i been doing it every now and then on my RGV and it dosent seem to hurt it... just thought you people mite know something i dont

no
    most guys don't use the clutch on up-shift.

and sometimes I forget to use the clutch on down-shift.

Comment

as long as your changing gear without the clutch when the dogs are not loaded then you shouldnt be doing mutch damage......as long as you doing it right. You dont want the be changing gears while under engine power, or under engine breaking. You need to do it on the cusp between the two. This will be when the dogs on the gear wil not be under load, and the dogs should slide (change gears) without damage, kangaroo hops or crunches.

I dont tend not to do clutchless changes, except on my old gpx after the clutch cable snapped on the way home from uni

My method is too pre-load the gear lever, then pull the clutch in but only about half way to about friction point, because you pre-loaded the lever, she just slides in like wet pus................*cough* ahhem

Im too unco to get pure clutchles chanegs to work reliably, but this is also a factor of the wider gear rations on a bike like mine.

An RGV with its very close ratio's when done properly id imagine could do them over and over again without too much damage.

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

interesting point to note - i once read that although lots of people do it, preloading the lever is a bad thing for the gearbox...
        think it was in a tuning book i read.
        your better off matching your engine speed to your road speed.

on my KX125 i've been known to change gear at WOT with just a slip of the clutch (like...every change)
        tried it on the RZ once.....didn't like it very much! lol
        No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

how can pre loading the lever be bad, you only taking the backlask out of the system to make a quicker change, id think better pre-loading to be smooth than to just rip on the gear?????

dunno

any else think pre-loading is bad?

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

Comment

see
            http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/view...ight=clutchless

Comment

thats where i read it. lol
              No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Working...
              X