X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FZR 250 smoke when cold

Hey i'm looking at buying an 88' FZR 250 although i have some issues
    well an issue 2 b exact
    When the bike is started cold there is smoke from the exhaust, the mechanic said that when it gets warm it stops smoking
    i forgot to ask him at the time so i'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on why it would be smoking only when cold
    excuse my ignorance as i have very limited knowledge on the mechanics of bikes.
    cheers for the advice

Valve stem seals possibly.

Did he say anything about the compression?
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Valve stem seals generally only cause smoke at startup. The oil pools in the heads, then runs down into the bores.
      If it continually smokes til warm, more likely rings.

Comment

i had one years ago with about 50,000km on the clock and was pretty tired, had low compression on all cylinders and it didnt blow smoke except maybe at WOT and high RPM. that was 10 years ago, i guess my point is those bikes are getting pretty old now and imho look for something a little younger.
        Originally posted by Bendito
        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

He said the bike was sweet and it wasnt a big problem so i'm assuming that the compression and the rings are fine.
          I most likely should hav asked him and then asked u guys but oh well.

Thanks for the feedback anyway

Comment

How much is it?

Just look around a bit more, they constantly pop up, go down to motomax and have a look also.

Comment

Its probly going to be around 3k shane
              I will have a look around once i have my licence, its just i trust the guys i'm looking 2 buy it from
              I understand what you mean bout shopping round though, personal preferance comes into my choice heavily,
              especially when buying a car or a bike.

Comment

Yeah alot of people make the mistake of buying a bike a little bit cheaper that needs a little work and ultimately end up dissapointed thats all.

By know means being critical and its easy not to practice what you preach i usually buy the first thing i see cause i fall in love

Just get a quote if you are able too and know the seller.

Comment

good advice for sure
                  I'm the same as you, once i see a bike i fall in love with it and cant b convinced that its no good,
                  athough i think i'm prety safe as the guys i'm lookin to buy it off know there stuff, and i'm sure if anything major happened they would try
                  and help me out as much as they could...
                  oh well only a couple of weeks and there were off and racing (in a slow careful manner)

Comment

Fast and Fun I say!

Comment

personally i would stop trusting someone when they tell you its only smoking cold, its no big issue, valve stem seals are not cheap to replace, its time consuming, if you still want the bike, get a firm price off them to repair it, in writing, before you buy it. it will only get worse, imagine trying to sell it in 12 months time, 99.9% of people that look at it will see smoke and walk away

Comment

I think your onto something there, i will certainly follow ur advice sean'o'.
                        Thanks heaps

Comment

where is your name! (no longer relevant)
                          Last edited by Satan1; 09-10-2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

maybe its just the condensation in the pipe

Comment

Condensation in the exhaust produces 'steam' not 'smoke'.

99% likely to be the valve stem seals, as everyone else has said.
                              The oil may take a minute or so to burn off, and will run fairly smoke free until the next time it's been sitting around for a few hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X