Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top end knock 00 ZX9R

Hi all.
    My brother and I both own ZX9Rs. His 00 model has been developing a nasty knock in the top end, it seems to be more prominant on the left hand side and only when the engine is put under load.
    It started about 2-3 months ago has been gradually getting worse, he took it into his dealer recently and they said it is "normal" and not to worry about it but it has continued to get worse.
    I think it sounds like the vavle clearances but wouldn't it be noisy all the time and not just under load? we plan to pull it down tomorrow and have a look.
    Are valve clearances a common prob with the 00 models? Has anyone come across a similar ploblem?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work"

When is the last time the valve clearances were done

Comment

Any knock from a engine should not be ignored.
      I learnt that the hard way and cost me $3000 +

Comment

When is the last time the valve clearances were done[/b]
        It says in the book they were done 8,000Ks ago. The interval is 12,000.
        The bike has done 41,000 and was last serviced 2,000Ks ago which is when he was told not to worry about it.

Comment

Any knock from a engine should not be ignored.
          I learnt that the hard way and cost me $3000 + [/b]
          OUCH!... Yeah thats why we are trying to sort it out now before it gets expensive

Comment

my 2000/01 zx9 since day 1 has had a ticking sound rather than a knock when the bike is under load at low revs, and when at no load just cruising it ticks when under heavy load no sound at all.
            had all services done valves adjusted and made no difference.
            all mechanics say it is "normal" for the ticking sound but if its a knock well that might be something else.

Comment

Hi all.
              My brother and I both own ZX9Rs. His 00 model has been developing a nasty knock in the top end, it seems to be more prominant on the left hand side and only when the engine is put under load.
              Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.[/b]
              are you certain its coming from the top of the motor?

a mechanic once told me a trick to check main bearings without ripping the motor down, dump the oil and replace with 70wt mono weight oil and run the bike, if the knock goes away it could be a main bearing. Are you certain its coming from the top of the motor? Seems a bad sign it only appears under load.
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

If it is only while under load , I would more likely think it would be the bottom end

Does it seem to get louder higher in the revs ?

Comment

Working...
                X