X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another helmet thread - helmet house

So i rang Helmet house today and the convo went similar to this

him: Hi helmet house

me: yeh hi do you guys stock Icon helmets?

him: what are they?

me: they...are...um helmets

him: hang on i'll check with the boss

(Dubs waits in amazement this guy knows how to actually work the phone, and i overhear someone in the background asking if i got it from the internets)

him: nah we dont stock them, did you find them on the internet, i've never heard of the brand?

me: yes i did they are a HUGE brand in the US but i thought i'd give you guys a call coz i like to buy local where i can

him: but we dont sell them

me: i now know this

him: if its a US brand you cant wear it here

me: yes i know that, unless it has passed the appropriate tests

him: yeh but its from the states and they dont have the right sticker on the back so if you get caught its like 3 demerits and a fine
    did you know we have lots of other brands here?

me: yes i did thanks anyway

so anyways, has anyone ACTUALLY been fined for not wearing an approved helmet or one that, maybe after soem road rash or a paint job, doesnt have a sticker?

coz i REALLY like this particular one

feedback appreciated - pls dont whore - i want to buy it soon (USD = if it is worth doing

Dubs
    Last edited by Dubs; 10-10-2007, 11:20 PM. Reason: stoopid honda shop

I have'nt been fined, but I would'nt bother risking it, more from an insurance point of view than anything else.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

i had simular convo about a suomy helmet too wouldnt even order me a visor for one do they really know anything bout lids????

also arnt most brands passed by australian standards anyway just gotta find the ones that have our sticker on them..

they are all imported arnt they??
      TIP: if you get pulled over by a young copper let him play with your bike, its amazing what you can get away with

Comment

I guess another question is:

Has anyone ever had a cop even look at their helmet, let alone check for the appropriate ADR sticker?

edit:
        And yeah, 99.9999% of helmets would probably qualify for the ADR sticker (it's not like shoei for example would set up another production line for Aus helmets, for the 1000 or so they'd sell per year nation wide). But if imported they haven't been officially stamped as "approved".
        Last edited by thro; 10-10-2007, 12:12 AM.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs View Post

so anyways, has anyone ACTUALLY been fined for not wearing an approved helmet or one that, maybe after soem road rash or a paint job, doesnt have a sticker?

coz i REALLY like this particular one

feedback appreciated - pls dont whore - i want to buy it soon (USD = if it is worth doing

Dubs
          I bought an Arai from the states 8 months ago, and saved a bucketload of $$$$ (around $450 AUD) ... Being that it looks like any other Arai you'd buy in Aus, I figure that I'm going to be pretty unlucky if I get pulled up and booked for wearing a non-AS stickered helmet (touch wood)

For the money I saved on a helmet, which is essentially manufactured to the same standards in the same factory as all other Arai helmets, Ive decided to take my chances and go for it

Comment

Dubso, uncertified lids have been done to death - but yours I think is a different angle.

Has anyone been busted? Apart from the guy with the german WWII lid.

I've been riding a lid through a couple of cop conversations at traffic lights (bike cop) and more than one roadside chat over the last year.

Been a bazillion cops past me, prolly looking for something wrong, but never so much as a peep.

Yeah, it's making life hard for yourself if there's a prang - insurance and all.

Given the choice, I would (and will, this one's due for replacement) pay the extra $150 or so for the Oz stickered version.

But I've never been close to getting reamed for it.
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

You had to call on the first day for their new staffer didn't you . Poor dude was probably terrified

Comment

Black Shoei sans AS sticker and I've had no problems. Only had the lid for a couple of months when the sticker came off and I can't bring myself to replace a perfectly good $600+ helmet because it's missing a sticker.

Even though I've had no issues it still makes me nervous sometimes when I have plod behind / beside me checking the bike out.

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
                  You had to call on the first day for their new staffer didn't you . Poor dude was probably terrified
                  Maybe if they do have a new staff member they mite actually open the store occasionaly. Don't know how many times I've wanted to go there and found them shut. Yes I know they are always shut on monday

Comment

So i call the honda shop in midland today and it goes as follow

some older lady: hello honda shop midland

me: can i speak to Jim pls?

SOL: which one old Jim or young Jim?

me: i presume young Jim

SOL: hang on he might be at lunch

(Dubs waits on hold)

SOL: are you there, yeh he is at lunch

me: ok can someone help me out with a price on a helmet pls?

SOL: I'll see if jeremy is in

(Dubs waits on hold)

SOL: nah he's on lunch too can i get someone to call you back?

me: no thanks

lesson learned - I will just go see col and dale in vic park on sat where i have always got good service and prices (well col when he gets back from PI anyway)

Dubs

Comment

Sorry I wasn't able to help mate.

Comment

any luck with visor yet desmo
                        TIP: if you get pulled over by a young copper let him play with your bike, its amazing what you can get away with

Comment

Try finding a stockist for Suomy stuff in Oz :/
                          With stuff like this, ebay usually works better

Comment

dont know how to use that shit might just come down to shop next week if ok and you can speak to me like a canadian

Comment

give glen a message over at thundercomposites.com.au he has a hook up for some Suomy gear

tell him Dubs sent ya

Dubs

Comment

Working...
                              X