VIN/Chassis # Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN/Chassis # Plate

Ok, bought some frame sliders for my shiny new bike, and it bolts onto the frame right where the plate with the chassis/vin number sits.

Is it ok to move this? Or is tampering with it a big no no?
    It's a tubular steel frame and the little plate is bent around it, and has two little rivets in it. I'd like to just move it back along the frame, drill two more holes (smallest I can get away with) and put it on there.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

I can't be certain but drilling holes in the frame doesn't sound like a good idea.
    As to the compliance plate I was under the impression that they were not to be moved.
    But I could be wrong.

Comment

Have you contacted DPI? Mebbe Saf (Foofie Foofie) knows a bit about this....not sure why, but his occupation/pastime came to mind.
      Originally posted by Viper
      I'm probably fucking something up.
      FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
      Administrator

Comment

Oops 10char
        Last edited by cowgirl; 11-10-2007, 06:35 PM. Reason: My bad
        Hello, you've reached the psychiatric hotline. If you are obsessive/compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you have multiple personalities, press 2, 3, 4, and 5. If you are simply paranoid, just stay on the line - we know who you are.

Comment

Don't drill holes in your frame, even the tiniest holes create massive stress regions, not to mention surface imperfections that can later cause cracks.

If you *must* put the sliders on, contact the DPI on the rules and if they give you the OK (get it in writing), use something like a Silastic to move the plate.

Comment

do not drill, do not move plate
            Originally posted by kyliejane
            benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
            Originally posted by harns
            Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

i dont get why you have to move it???
              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by semi View Post
                i dont get why you have to move it???
                *cough* semi?

benno, dont touch the plate, fix your bizzo over it mate, just write all the numbers down or take a pic first.
                then the next owner can see wot ya done?
                if ya sell it?

the only drama will be if you get a sticker,need to go ova the pits and you strike a pedantic examiner.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Ben here
                  I don't know that the slider will fit over the plate.
                  I really can't touch it then?
                  I scrapped the drilling idea pretty fast, if it was to move, I'd glue it or use some little hose clamps or something.
                  The plate isn't quite bent to match the frame, and it has two little rivets in it. I haven't tried properly mounting it yet, but it doesn't look too great.
                  Hello, you've reached the psychiatric hotline. If you are obsessive/compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you have multiple personalities, press 2, 3, 4, and 5. If you are simply paranoid, just stay on the line - we know who you are.

Comment

post a pic dude, so we can see the real issue
                    "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

The offending article

Note the dodgy angle

Now note the way this side's block is actually cut.

I think it should work now.

So, after closer inspection, I should be fine. The right side block is cut so it appears to fit over the plate fine. The left side matches the tube, mayhaps I had that one last night, and got all worked up over nothing.

I have a few bits to do on the weekend, so I'll try it then.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

Comment

yeah definately don't drill.

a hole in a plate will increase stress concentrations at the hole by about 2.5 or 3 times.

plus it gives an area for surface fractures to start in fatigue.
                        Wes

Comment

Working...
                        X