Oil Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filters

Had a fun morning of driving from one auto shop to the next looking for an oil filter. First bit of work I've done on my bike. I didn't realize that bikes were such rare and exotic creatures that auto stores didn't stock parts for them!

Anywho, trying to find an oil filter for a 2001 VTR250. There are no VTR250's listed in in the K&N or Ryco parts list apart from the Interceptor (88-90). What the deuce?

So who do you recommend to see for motorcycle parts and what oil would you recommend for an 01' 250 V-twin?

Any bike shop should either carry them or be able to get them in. Ring around the ones close to you and find one who's got stock at a sane price.

Alternatively, this kind of stuff appears on eBay pretty regularly.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Head to any motorcycle shop (more then likely any honda shop have it in stock). Use motorcycle oil (15W-50)
      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
        Head to any motorcycle shop (more then likely any honda shop have it in stock). Use motorcycle oil (15W-50)
        Picked up some 15W-50 this morning despite the guy in Auto1 saying I needed the $65 fully synthetic 2-stroke. Few oil changes with that stuff and I'll pay for my bike!

Looks like all the VTR250's use the KN111 oil filter. Picked up from Clem's in Maddo. Just used to tinkering with the 4 wheels I could always head up to REPCO get whatever I need. Welcome to the world of bikes I guess!:p

She sounds a bit smoother now. All ready for the ride tomorrow.

Comment

Always use genuine oil filters. Honda.

Comment

Yeah what saf said.

Just go to your nearest honda bike dealer and pick one up They're not expensive.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by YeminJo View Post
              Picked up some 15W-50 this morning despite the guy in Auto1 saying I needed the $65 fully synthetic 2-stroke. Few oil changes with that stuff and I'll pay for my bike!

Looks like all the VTR250's use the KN111 oil filter. Picked up from Clem's in Maddo. Just used to tinkering with the 4 wheels I could always head up to REPCO get whatever I need. Welcome to the world of bikes I guess!:p

She sounds a bit smoother now. All ready for the ride tomorrow.

Oil filter is only designed for 88-90 VTR250 (from k&n) and it pays to see a motorcycle shop. They know there shit

Hope your oil is designed for motorcycles or non energy saving otherwise your clutch will slip. And you checked your oil level when it was upright

Get used to paying heaps to run a bike, basic service is about $250
              Last edited by Halo_2; 13-10-2007, 08:35 PM.
              "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what would a genuine oil filter cost on average?

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                  Get used to paying heaps to run a bike, basic service is about $250
                  It's all swings and roundabouts. You pay more for servicing more often, you pay more for tyres. But you save on fuel and rego and parking.
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I bought a Oil filter and oil yestrday. $16 for genuine honda filter.
                    Doing a 3000k change tomorrow.
                    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

oil change ? who needs an oil change

just get your old filter, throw it in the dish washer.. and top up the sump with crisco or some chip shop oil.. Isnt that what the greenies are on about ? j/k

100% agree with saf ( foofie ) - honda genuine filters for the win ! ( or cartridges, if that's what your bike takes )..

tho, I'd question 2 stroke oil in the sump ? I mean.. it's supposed to be burned if it's 2 stroke.. it's total loss lubrication..

Anyone that suggest's they did a coolant change on your air cooled bike, you should probably go elsewhere for future servicing
                      Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, what would a genuine oil filter cost on average?
                        $25.19 inc GST for a genuine 98 Honda CBR1100XX oil filter as of yesterday from The Honda Shop Midland + $ 1.95 for a new crush washer for the oil pan and $94.08 for a genuine air filter:o.
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

as a rule for newby's, always buy your oil at a motorcycle shop and if unsure ask. the spares blokes are well sorted with info for 99% of bikes.

And unless you really need it, and the VTR won't , use either a mineral oil or a semi synthetic. Full synthetic is overkill on any 250.

From memory that bike uses around 2 litres of oil with the filter change so you will get 2 changes out of the 4 ltr pack.
                          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Pretty sure i picked up honda oil, honda filter and a sump plug washer for about 50 bucks the other day (600rr - i have heard they use the same filter as an accord ).

Servicing isn't hell expensive either, first service was something like $190 for my 600rr (honda shop - i didn't buy it from there, so not sure if they're included when you buy a bike or not) and that included finding a rock in my thermo fan and removing it too

I guess to some people bike oil, servicing, etc seems expensive - but if you're had a high performance cage, and run the good shit in that... it's not...

If you're running an engine making >100hp/litre, you need to look after it $10 k-mart oil for the lose...
                            Last edited by thro; 14-10-2007, 09:49 AM.
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I paid $60 yesterday for a genuine filter for the er6.
                              amidoinitrite?

Seemed like a lot. Would knock off brands bugger up the warranty?

Comment

Working...
                              X