Leaking Plug...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Plug...

After jumping on the bike last night and finding the rear tyre at 15psi, it seems that the plug I've had put in the tyre is slowly leaking at one point where the tread has feathered around the plug.

Is there a glue I can use to stop the plug leaking, or do I have to get the tyre replugged?

Obviously the bike shops are closed, but is there a glue from somewhere like supercheap or a hobby store that I could use with a needle/syringe between the tyre and the plug?
    Oh, and a new tyre isn't on the books...

Sounds like a new tyre for you. Better write it in the book
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Don't fuck around with cheap nasty fixes on tyres.
      It's been plugged, it failed, replace tyre.
      No other option really :/

Comment

-Inflate to 40psi
        -Do massive rolling burnout
        -Film said massive rolling burnout
        -Stop being cheap and pay for new tyre
        -Post video
        FTP

Comment

^^^^^^Agreed

Comment

That'll be my third tyre in 4 months.

Bah, no riding for a while then

Comment

Third in 4 months?

Comment

Yep, nails and shit like that.

That's why I'm loathe to put a new one on when it's only had 2000km done on it.

I've probably spent close to $1000 on tyres this year, not counting my trip.
                Last edited by Jonchilds; 13-10-2007, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Take it to a tyre place next week and get a proper "mushroom" type plug in it and forget stuffing around with bodgy attempted fixes as it will just make it harder to get a proper repair :o. I can understand not wanting to throw an essentially new tyre away particularly as it is the rear, if it was the front maybe
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Mmmmm! Take no chances with tyres.
                    Especially if your name is John Childs. Seen you boys ride. Don't be a dick. Change it.
                    You seemed to me to be a nice guy with a promissing future, why kill yourself over $400.00

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                      Take it to a tyre place next week and get a proper "mushroom" type plug in it and forget stuffing around with bodgy attempted fixes as it will just make it harder to get a proper repair :o. I can understand not wanting to throw an essentially new tyre away particularly as it is the rear, if it was the front maybe
                      It is a mushroom plug...
                      I'm thinking of putting some of that green goo in and seeing if that stops it, and then it'll be a new tyre.

Originally posted by THE GODFATHER View Post
                      Mmmmm! Take no chances with tyres.
                      Especially if your name is John Childs. Seen you boys ride. Don't be a dick. Change it.
                      You seemed to me to be a nice guy with a promissing future, why kill yourself over $400.00
                      I've ridden on mushroom plugged tyres before, and see no problem with them. I've done silly speeds on them too, and they hold up fine. I'd never ride on a 'stuffing' plug unless it was absolutely neccesary.

Comment

I was on a VF1000 in 1988 riding down Great Northern Hwy at around the 200k mark with a plug in it. Young and stupid. Slowed down and turned onto West Swan road and the plug spat out. (OK, slight exaggeration, but it leaked badly) Had been in for a few weeks as well. Will never trust another one. May have been a bad fit or something, but either way it came out. I assume they have got better since then but am not game enough to chance it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
                          Yep, nails and shit like that.

That's why I'm loathe to put a new one on when it's only had 2000km done on it.

I've probably spent close to $1000 on tyres this year, not counting my trip.

Geez, that's unlucky to have that many punctures!

Have you checked your rim. No sharp points or knicks that could be rubbing through the tire slowly?

had that happen on a trailer once and it pissed me off more than anything until i finally noticed it!
                          `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Godfather: I'm quite happy with the way the plug is set. The mushroom shape means you'd need to see a catastrophic failure of the tyre carcass for the plug to come out, as it's like a double barb - will only move one way, and that's prevented by 42psi.
                            I don't think I'm at a significantly greater risk than usual of tyre failure causing serious injury with these plugs.

Karlos: I've pulled the offending nail/hook/whatever out each time. Nothing to do with the rim, rather the dickheads who keep dropping stuff on the roads. Imagine if it flicked up at 100kph and hit me in the neck. I'd be right pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTim View Post
                              -Inflate to 40psi
                              -Do massive rolling burnout
                              -Film said massive rolling burnout
                              -Stop being cheap and pay for new tyre
                              -Post video
                              +1 (also + werds for character limit)
                              DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
                              - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
                              -Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                              X