Screw threads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw threads.

I've got a luggage frame for the back of my ZZ-R, but I've got a bit of a dilemma. Three of the screws on the tie down clips came loose with a gentle nudge by hand with issue. Whoever checked all the screws clearly got a little excited with the last one, because it was much tighter than the others. Wouldn't budge with the hand screwdriver, so I gave it a gentle nudge with a drill, no go. I could see it'd been overdone and was slightly wearing already, so I decided to leave it for the time being.

Now my father, who for the record knows how to use a drill, gave it a try with something with a little bit more power and, even being careful, the threads gave way more than a little to the point that I'm not liking the chances of getting it out as it is.

In the past I've sorted this problem out for friends by cutting deeper grooves into the more solid parts of the screw so it won't give way. In this case, due to the position of the screw, that isn't really an option.

We've contemplated drilling it out, but we haven't got the right drill bits and aren't really keen on doing it on a new bike.

If anyone has any ideas or can point me in the direction of someone who can help me out, it'd be much appreciated.

Hey Ryven. couple of ideas I had to do on my bike to get a screw out of the clutch fliud res. Try and impact driver. If you need to cut a slot use a dremil.
    where are you based. Whe have had to do this once or twice. You can bring it into work (Malaga) and we will help you if need be. Just not Monday cos we have bosses over from Melbourne.

Comment

Yeah an impact driver sounds like the go.
      for those not in the know

Also consider replacing the screws with socket headed ones so you can use an allen key in the future
      "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

use a hammer and a punch the size of the head of the screw and give it a solid hit, repeat maybe 2 more times then try undoing it. The hit will hopefully dislodge the threads that are siezed together and it will undo. good luck.
        Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by THE GODFATHER View Post
          Hey Ryven. couple of ideas I had to do on my bike to get a screw out of the clutch fliud res. Try and impact driver. If you need to cut a slot use a dremil.
          where are you based. Whe have had to do this once or twice. You can bring it into work (Malaga) and we will help you if need be. Just not Monday cos we have bosses over from Melbourne.
          I don't have an impact driver or a dremil set. I'm in Westfield, but part of my problem is being an L and working full time.

As for the screws, I'm taking them out because the frame needs longer ones with spanner heads anyway. So they can pretty much be binned.

I need the frame if I'm going to use the bike as a commuter for work. As much as it pains me to put it on a ZZR.

Cheers for the advice, I'll see if anyone I know has an impact driver. With any luck, there's still enough on top for that to be all I need.

Comment

Screwed!!

I can help if you need.
            In Lesmurdie. PM if you like.
            RR VRT #100
            Sponsors Wanted.
            Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
            A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Plenty of WD40, too...
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

robwas- Sure. Will do. There's no great rush. As a learner, I mainly want the frame up so I have somewhere to put my L plates other than pinned to the back of my jacket.

thro- I approach every vehicle problem by asking myself the question "Can WD40 or 100 mile an hour tape fix this?"

Going to try a little more "gentle" persuasion this morning before we head off for the group ride.

Comment

Haha good stuff.

Add cable ties to your toolkit as well, always carry a pack in the cage, they're useful for so much
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Funny you should mention that, Thro. Last year I was touring western Europe with my then g/f and camping gear on the back of an FJ1200 set up with the Givi Wingrack and 46 litre panniers, overloaded to shit.

After a stopover in Perpignon to replace blown fork seals, took off and noticed that the panniers were hanging low. Reason? Snapped mounts at the front. Took it back to the B&B where we were staying, their neighbour had a welder so we stripped and welded the mounting plates back - good full penetration welds.

Took off again, checked again that night and the metal had sheared again on both mounts about 6-7mm from the welds. Dayum.

Spent the next 14000km or so with three cable ties each side replacing the front mounts by hanging the frame onto the grab rails.

Every 2 or 3 days one would snap, so I replaced it. That simple.

Cable ties are better than metal
                    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Alright, it's all sorted. We picked up a double sided drill bit thing, I forget the name. One end is a drill, the other end is shaped to grip the drilled hole and takes the screw out pretty damn quickly.

Now, with any lucky, I'll never have to use it again.

Comment

screw extractor !! see you thursday evening. will call before i leave the house. have a think where you want to go for a ride and we'll take it from there

Comment

I did have a think about it, and I came up with "Oh shit, I have to be at the Linkin Park gig at 7." Sorry about that. Will SMS you about it and see if we can work something else out.

Comment

Working...
                          X