baffled by baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baffled by baffles

G'day all i just brought a Royal star 2005 Convertible, buggered if i can get the baffles out, i have had a fair size bingle before and i will be buggered if i will drive around with no noise to be heard.. so if anyone can help would love any suggestions also still need someone to fabricate a backrest for it so my missus will jump on too..
    Thanks in advance
    Surfa
    Every day you wake up is a good day

Most stock bikes do not have the option of removable baffles, as that would very quickly allow the bike to go to an "illegal" state due to noise restrictions or emissions control. It is only your after market exhausts that have easy to remove baffles.

In the case of cruisers, I have to admit I would have no idea what may be required to do this, without actually looking at the exhaust in question.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Yeah ofcourse lol what was i thinking thanks for the info mate

Comment

1. Remove muffler.
        2. Enjoy.

oh wait...
        3. Get yellow sticker
        4. Replace muffler
        5. Remove yellow sticker
        6. Remove muffler
        7. Enjoy

and repeat :o)

Try an exhaust place - you might be able to get "shotgun" slip-on pipes made to fit out of striaght stainless tube.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

any recommendations on a muffler place, from melbourne so i dont have anywere that i really trust yet..

Comment

De-baffle this!
            PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

hey druu you have inspired me lol will give it a go
              Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by druu View Post

Man that sounded like absolute shit.

TJsurfa do yourself (and your neighbours) a big favour and go buy yourself a reputable aftermarket full system.
                Which will give you a nice reasonably loud note and look the shiz, without that "Hey look at that guy his exhaust must have fallen off" sound of a stock de baffled pipe that only a deaf person can appreciate.

Let us know what you buy
                Last edited by sucka; 14-10-2007, 09:30 PM. Reason: dodgy link

Comment

Please, if it's a cruiser, leave the stock exhaust on.
                  I have no idea what gene it is that is responsible for people actually enjoying the aural rape that comes from an open piped cruiser, but I don't have it.
                  Please, do society a favour and leave it stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                    Please, if it's a cruiser, leave the stock exhaust on.
                    I have no idea what gene it is that is responsible for people actually enjoying the aural rape that comes from an open piped cruiser, but I don't have it.
                    Please, do society a favour and leave it stock.
                    Mate this is what I'm saying.

Take the baffles out of any standard exhaust system whether the machine is a superbike, cruiser or a bloody moped and it will sound like a bunky POS.
                    Unfortunately cruiser owners seem to like butchering standard pipes more than most.
                    Fit a decent set of aftermarket pipes and the result can sound (comparably) pleasant , and less anti-social.

Comment

well my last bike was a 1500 honda valkyrie with a 6pipe system.. i took out 4 baffles which gave it a low rumble but loud enough to be heard. this time i have a Royal star 1300 convertible that i cant hear in my garage when i start it up.
                      The reason behind the de baffle is not for noise pollution or to be cool..
                      I just want protection as much as i can get..
                      Had a head-on with a p plater already and broken most bones... not wanting to be not seen and heard again..
                      The only good thing about a harley is that you know when there around..shit my computer makes as much noise as the yammie.. bugger that.
                      so i will go the way or debaffle and if it is too loud wack on a custom pipe.. its not the money thats the problem but time lol cant make more of it.
                      Thanks everyone for your imput i like all the opionions, but once youve been told you will never walk again, well better to be safe than sorry

Comment

Yeah, go the aftermarket pipes. My father-in-law brought his Suzuki cruiser around and we had a look at removing the baffles. It looked like it would be a tricky job with no guarantee of success. In the end he bought a set of Vance & Hines pipes and the bike now sounds great - a throaty growl but not offensively loud.
                        "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

Originally posted by sucka View Post
                          Man that sounded like absolute shit.
                          +1....
                          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                          Originally posted by Phildo
                          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                          Originally posted by filbert
                          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                          X