D.I.Y Respray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.I.Y Respray?

I'm thinking of respraying my ZZR black.
    But, I've never sprayed a motorcycle before and was wondering if there was any special way to do it. (apart from removing the fairings and stickers of course)

Any help?
    Last edited by esquire; 19-10-2007, 02:33 PM.
    Feels good man.

There's been plenty of threads about it, try a search (if it's working yet?).
    PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

will do
      Feels good man.

Comment

Quickly, then.

All in the prep work. You've got to remove every last trace of oil and dirt. After that, scuff it up with maybe 800 grit paper so the new paint has something to mechanically lock into.

Choose your paint type - if a rough finish is okay use a rattlecan. Otherwise you're setting up for spraygun etc. I use acrylic just coz I have lots. You want nice finish, go 2-pack. "Iso-free" 2-pack will save you a bundle on respiratory filters etc.

Make a tent out of cheap shitty Bunnings drop sheets and gaffa tape to stop paint going everywhere and dust getting in.

Get something to practise on first - don't just go straight on the fairings coz first off you WILL get runs etc until you get the hang of the gun.

Spray very lightly first coat, just put some dust on it. A few minutes to dry, then a thicker coat. Better off with more light coats than one too thick which will give you orange peel and probably runs.

If you're feeling confident, the last coat can be run with more thinners to give a glossier finish but be careful - this will dissolve layers underneath and make a godawful mess if you get it wrong.

To repeat myself - practise on something else, like a bin, first. If you're happy then go ahead. If not, call a painter and book it in
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

BLACK and any dark colours/metallics will show up any and all small imperfections in panel prep, yes even expert work i can usually find flaws in. my advice is DONT GO BLACK or (dark/metallic etc)

choose a light to mid colour and solid, no metallics if you do not have ample experience with painting. DONT use a pressure pack or ill st*b your face

(thats more of an empty threat than a real one) ;P
          "Redlines are merely suggestions"
          "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Bump?
            Feels good man.

Comment

Not flaming, not being aggro, just confused...

WTF are you bumping for?

I gave you a quick heads up. 1600 added an important gotcha. It was pointed out that this was gone over in detail in other threads mate - go have a look around under Mods and Being a Technamickle.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Not sure for what was the bumping. I think I was just bored or something.

I had a bit of a search for similar threads but couldn't really find anything that helpful to me seeing as how I don't really know anything about different kinds of paints and primers etc.

So here's what I've got:

1 litre of DuPont Centari 610 Basecoat (Metallic Black)
                1 litre of Concept Paints Unicolour Clear Coat
                500mLs of hardener (same brand as the clear coat)

I also have a spray gun and a large workshop full of tools.

Is there anything else I need. The guy I bought the bike from had got these to paint the bike but never got around to it so he gave them to me.
                Feels good man.

Comment

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...searchid=43681

I cant believe you won't find what you need and extra amongst these

Comment

Don't forget wet and dry sandpaper, 800 and 1200 grit sheets.

Or you could do what I'm doing and prepare the fairings yourself, but pay the labour charge of spraying which shouldn't be too much. Although you have the tools and spray gun, sounds like your experience is lacking which will result in a dodgy finish.
                    PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

Originally posted by esquire View Post
                      Not sure for what was the bumping. I think I was just bored or something.

I had a bit of a search for similar threads but couldn't really find anything that helpful to me seeing as how I don't really know anything about different kinds of paints and primers etc.

So here's what I've got:

1 litre of DuPont Centari 610 Basecoat (Metallic Black)
                      1 litre of Concept Paints Unicolour Clear Coat
                      500mLs of hardener (same brand as the clear coat)

I also have a spray gun and a large workshop full of tools.

Is there anything else I need. The guy I bought the bike from had got these to paint the bike but never got around to it so he gave them to me.
                      I dont want to sound like a wanker so try to interpret this as POSITIVE critacism.

What you are basically set your self up for is a 90% failure.
                      Its like being 16 spending 3k - a considerable sum given it's context - on a good crosscountry mountain bike, going off and SELF LEARNING to mountain bike, stack it through no intention of doing so and wasting that 3k, sure you'll learn from it, but you would also learn from a $300 bike smash.

ok, do it yourself, BUT! - go and buy some cheap equiptment enamel and hardener, prepare a car door or othe rthat you could pick up for free or ~$20 and practice on that, there is so much to painting DECENTLY, gun stroke speeed, trigger control, mix ratios, mix ratios given temperaure/humidity etc
                      Its quite involved, its like learning to ride a bike for someone who has not done so before, many factors to take into consideration simultaneously, but im OT saying dont do it yourself, just go spend another $50 on some cheap paint, learn how to spray and prep properly (in my opinion 80% of the "Quality" of a job is in the prep) and enjoy the dividends of EXPERIENCE.

peace out mate, best of luck
                      "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                      "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Yeah. Methinks I will employ the skills of a professional.

Thanks everyone.
                        Feels good man.

Comment

If you're wanting to put zzr stickers back on it to make it look factory - check the prices out before you start They're fuckign expensive stickers
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

If you've got the gear and are going to rub the fairings back anyway, it's worth having a go yourself. Maybe not ultragloss clear on black but something a little more forgiving - if nothing else you'll appreciate the job the pro painters do.

You could paint your bike for around $50 worth of acrylic and another $50 worth of sandpaper, soap, tape and crap like that.

Comment

If I'm guessing right this is just a respray ie the prep work won't require repair of the fairings. Also, on a 250, I'm thinking personally the cost of a professional respray on a 250 isn't really sounding too attractive.

Once you bite the bullet and begin prep there isn't really any turning back. If I were you, I'd take the advice above including the practice on something ie car panel and searching previous threads, and if you decide painting ain't your thing (quality of finish and you aren't feeling the motorvation) then just don't bother respraying, it is alot of work if you want to get it right and hiring someone to do it is seeming a bit wasteful on a 250.

Good luck with future decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X