No announcement yet.

Stuff to do while bike is off the road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff to do while bike is off the road?

Well my bike will be sitting in my garage for about the next week or so. I'd like to do a few little things to make it look a little cleaner, as well as any maintanence stuff that people think would be a good idea

So far I've done: new fork oil and a lot of the engine servicing that might need to be done. (for a CBR250RR by the way)

I'm planning on doing the following:
    New brake fluid, oil change (so i can paint engine covers) and properly cleaning and lubing my chain (or possibly a new set of chain and sprockets). Also need to fix an oil leak

Painting engine covers, top triple clamp cover and exhaust, giving the swingarm a good clean and polishing up my heelguards and maybe my footpeg hangers. Also going to give the bike a thorough clean all over, getting into the little spots where dust and grease accumulate

Anyone else got any ideas that would be good to do with the bike off the road, whether for looks or maintenance?
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Use a hard bristled toothbrush, anything softer is just a waste of time.
    This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Steering head / suspension bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by 19andrew59 View Post
        Steering head / suspension bearings?

hmm, probably not a bad idea. Mine seem fine, is it the sorta thing you should just do, or do when it needs it? And how much are the bearings worth, if anyone knows?
        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Strip it back to the frame, check the electricals are all good (its getting to that age where they could be on the way out), give it a good clean, anything else you notice needs doing while it's totally stripped...
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

check electricals how? Test with a multimeter?

Comment

Originally posted by semi View Post
              hmm, probably not a bad idea. Mine seem fine, is it the sorta thing you should just do, or do when it needs it?
              Doesn't hurt to clean and lube, also check for wear.
              Originally posted by semi View Post
              And how much are the bearings worth, if anyone knows?
              Should be available from a bearing outlet cheaper than factory.

Comment

Peel off all the stickers and replace with Kawasaki ones, guaranteed to give you extra HP!
                I miss my ZX6

Comment

i havent got any stickers

Comment

from honda you are looking at like 120 for the top and bottom bearing + dust seals
                    there is a Tute on the CBR forums in regards to installing them, Looks like a pain in the ass to me.

My Bike is at RILUSI atm getting the headstem bearings, clutch, braided lines, new pads, new rear tyre and the electrical's getting a look over
                    I am gonna be so broke

Comment

shoulda let me do some of that stuff or done it yourself. but its your money and your bike :p

Comment

Give your chain a proper clean in a kero bath with a toothbrush, check both sprockets for wear.

Swingarm & wheel bearings.

Bleed brakes and check pads. Not a bad idea to clean dust off calipers and pistons.

Valve clearances.

Polish head & pistons.

Rollerised bearing conversion for your engine

Other ridiculous mods for a 250cc...

Comment

buy a WHOLE lot of degreaser.

should've seen the shit behind my sprocket cover from previous owners who never cleaned/lubed the chain. O.o

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
                            Give your chain a proper clean in a kero bath with a toothbrush, check both sprockets for wear.

Swingarm & wheel bearings.

Bleed brakes and check pads. Not a bad idea to clean dust off calipers and pistons.

Valve clearances.

Polish head & pistons.

Rollerised bearing conversion for your engine

Other ridiculous mods for a 250cc...
                            valve clearances were done not long ago, they'll be fine. Will probably do the pads too

Originally posted by vbroom View Post
                            buy a WHOLE lot of degreaser.

should've seen the shit behind my sprocket cover from previous owners who never cleaned/lubed the chain. O.o
                            yeh, i know what thats like, there was heaps of that stuff there when i did my motor

Comment

if your doing an oil change do the filter aswell

carb balance.

no need to replace bearings willy nilly. have a squiz at the old ones, and if they dont have excessive play, arent notchy, and havent turned blue, just put some new grease in.

clean/replace air filter

if your going for appearance do the old polished rims trick. bit of paint here and there like on bar ends, brake calipers etc

oil leak = threebond.
                              id shower in the stuff if it werent for the fact it would stop me from having a leak ever again.
                              Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Working...
                              X