honda cbr 900 airfilter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honda cbr 900 airfilter

Ok, after having a bit of a rainy day outside - I decided to take the fuel tank off the bike ( for the first time since I bought her ) and checkout the filter..

Is there a replacable/cleanable filter for this - or can i / should i - clean the filter..

I'm guessing a genuine is gonna cost me a fortune, and if that's the case.. I'd rather get a good filter to replace the stock one..

Is there anything abnormal in these pics I took of the old filter ?

Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

paper filters arent intended to be washed/cleaned.
    your aftermarket cotton filters are though.

if you were really short on cash you could blow some of the shit out of there with a compressor, by spraying in the opposite direction that the air normally flows.

jump on ebay and find a K&N or something similar

not the dirtiest air filter ive seen, but not the cleanest either
    Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Yeah, i didnt think this one would respond well to cleaning.. unfortunately i dont know what it's made of.. doesnt look like some of those nasty aftermarket air filters.. but not as good as the K&N filters..

Couldnt see anything on fleabay.. and i dont think the guys at the honda dealership / shop would recommend aftermarket over the oem stuff..

I'm not one for trying to skimp to save a few $$ - and air is pretty essential to your bike.. so I want to get the most efficient, best quality i can afford..

Comment

I was running the Factory Pro APK kit on my 93 blade, it had a K&N panel filter before that.

The kit did take a bit of modification to the standard airbox to get it to fit (pretty easy if you are handy with a dremel) but all in all it seemed pretty well thought out (comes with everything you need to put it all together).

The K&N ones are a serviceable item, you can get the re-oiling kits for them.

It might pay to at least price up the OEM and the K&N one, if the OEM is pretty close to the same price just go with that.

Oh and all the oil in your airbox is from the crank case breather, that will be clogging the filter, as well as possibly jets and air passages in the carbs. It might be worth routing this hose out of the airbox (it's in the top right of the box), sealing off the entry point it had and putting it's own filter on it (otherwise it will suck in unfiltered air). That should stop the oil from appearing in the airbox.
        Last edited by Mattis; 20-10-2007, 06:46 PM.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
        your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

that factorypro kit looks like you remove the panel completely, and put foam filters over the 2 intakes at the front of the box...

which would increase the volume inside the box... ?

would you need to re-jet the carbie when you do that ? given the additional air available to those carbs ?

and who could tune for carb's now - seems the black art of carbies is a word unspoken in most bike shops these days...

Comment

Originally posted by Eukanuba View Post
            that factorypro kit looks like you remove the panel completely, and put foam filters over the 2 intakes at the front of the box...

which would increase the volume inside the box... ?

would you need to re-jet the carbie when you do that ? given the additional air available to those carbs ?

and who could tune for carb's now - seems the black art of carbies is a word unspoken in most bike shops these days...
            I had a jet kit fitted along with a +4 degrees ignition advancer shortly after I put the APK kit in. Mine was done by Russell down at Dynotime. I have heard that he isn't doing jet kits/carby tuning anymore though (haven't heard it from the horses mouth, just word of mouth).

It is possible that you will need to get it re-jetted if you were to get the APK kit into it, but from what Russell said when he did mine the jet kit didn't need too much adjustment from the stock base settings that it came with.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

Comment

I'll need to replace this tomorrow ( monday ) any word on where i'd find an aftermarket kit in perth ?

I'm keen to go ride now - without having to build, then disassemble it again...

Comment

You may find that a K&N is more expensive than an OEM filter, I just got a new filter for my 98 BB and it was $94, the cheapest I could found a K&N was $125 and that was off eBay from the US :o, some places wanted up to $185 . I don't know about the blade but testing has found that the OEM BB filters flow as much air as a K&N etc so the only advantage is being able to clean it every time rather than replace but depending how much you ride and how long you have the bike may not be worth getting a K&N
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

well, i put it all back together yesterday - cos either way, i cant have a bike in pieces in my shed..

I went out for a test ride, got 5 mins up the road.. and she died on me.. like the fuel was off..

I checked it was on ( which it was ) and tried cranking to prime the carbie bowls..

no joy, and now i've got an almost flat battery... it's been sitting all night with the fuel tap on..

How can i re-prime the carbies ? is there some special trick ? I've never run this bike out of fuel in the last 12 month's I've had her..

Comment

Are you sure that you haven't pinched a fuel line when you were putting the tank back on?

The bike runs a fuel pump, so priming the carbs is pretty much instance as long as the pump is working.

Maybe when moving the tank sediment has found it's way into the pickup and blocked it, maybe try setting the tap to reserve instead (to test to see if this pickup is not blocked).

Comment

Working...
                    X