Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight Modulator

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Headlight Modulator

    Does anyone have one?

    For those not in the know, it seems that basically these devices "modulate" your headlight - kinda looks like a rapidly flashing headlight. see linky. It is claimed that it improves viability for bikers and cars notice the flashing light more readily. Same principle applies to flashing stop lights that BMW have started to introduce.

    Safety Electronics For Motorcycles


    I'm not convinced about these cause I reckon they might just confuse people even more. But then again at least they might notice us more???

    Thoughts?

  • #2
    Interesting to see their effect on lamp life.

    Or whether they're even legal in WA or Australia.

    And what they're like to use at night (or do you switch the modulator off when you actually use the headlight to see?)
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

    Comment


    • #3
      doubt theyd be good for my HID's

      and i think youre right, would just make people think your bikes broken (would prolly get their attention though, hmmm)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
        Interesting to see their effect on lamp life.

        Or whether they're even legal in WA or Australia.

        And what they're like to use at night (or do you switch the modulator off when you actually use the headlight to see?)
        1) Yep totally legal in WA. In fact there is a section in the legislation specifically permitting motorcycles to have a headlight modulator. Funny cause i'd never even heard of them before the other day.
        will find like to said legislation.

        (3) A motor bike may be equipped with a headlight modulation system that ;
        (a) varies the brightness of its high-beam headlight or low-beam headlight, but not both, at a rate of at least 200 and at most 280 flashes a minute; and
        (b) is designed to operate only in the daytime.
        2) yes they can only be used during the day. The ones in that linky above supposedly automatically switch off when it gets dark ie night time or enter tunnel or something. Apparently these ones go into modulator mode when you select high beam and they go off when you select normal light. At night time you low beam/high beam would work as normal.
        Last edited by shmoo; 22-10-2007, 02:10 PM. Reason: to insert extract from legislation

        Comment


        • #5
          sounds like they would be pretty annoying for the vehicle in front of you, constantly flashing light in your rearview

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JaR6d View Post
            doubt theyd be good for my HID's

            and i think youre right, would just make people think your bikes broken (would prolly get their attention though, hmmm)
            hahaha they'd prolly think "hmmm bikes broken....better run him down"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              Interesting to see their effect on lamp life.

              Or whether they're even legal in WA or Australia.

              And what they're like to use at night (or do you switch the modulator off when you actually use the headlight to see?)
              Looks like it'll only work during day time (has a light sensor)
              Free android puzzle game
              https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TempleOfMedina

              Comment


              • #8
                i have one on my zx9, 280 beats per minute Diamond Star Headlight Module

                been past a zillion cop cars, had them infront of me at lights and no probs
                i keep a copy of the legalitys under my seat just in case a rookie questions me.


                over all ild say i get noticed a lot more and defienetly feel a lot safer knowing people arnt 100% sure what is going on and they wait a little longer or at least take a second look

                been fitted to my bike for over a year and makes no difference to lamp life, had car lamps blow within a year

                its funny looking at peoples faces as you pass them after they have been sitting there waiting for you to pass so they can see what u are then realise that u are just a normal motorbike

                i also ride with shadow keeper and he said it doesnt bother him the slightest
                Last edited by Evil_Homer; 22-10-2007, 07:30 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  A lot of the guys on the US BB sites love HM's if they aren't running HID's as it gets you noticed easier , I reckon since I put the HID"s in high and low beam that the car drivers see me a lot easier now as I get people flashing me in broad daylight even on low beam :p
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

                  98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Evil_Homer View Post
                    i have one on my zx9, 280 beats per minute Diamond Star Headlight Module

                    been past a zillion cop cars, had them infront of me at lights and no probs
                    i keep a copy of the legalitys under my seat just in case a rookie questions me.


                    over all ild say i get noticed a lot more and defienetly feel a lot safer knowing people arnt 100% sure what is going on and they wait a little longer or at least take a second look

                    been fitted to my bike for over a year and makes no difference to lamp life, had car lamps blow within a year

                    its funny looking at peoples faces as you pass them after they have been sitting there waiting for you to pass so they can see what u are then realise that u are just a normal motorbike

                    i also ride with shadow keeper and he said it doesnt bother him the slightest

                    Ahhhh EH, thanks mate thats exactly the sort of info i was after - someone who actually has one installed.

                    Yeah as Para said seems like lots of people in the US like them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great to hear they're legal here, might have to add that to my 'to-do' list...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The don't flicker the light in a way that it looks like a strobe light - the light just sort of pulses very quickly like the power is reduced to 80% and cranked back up, very rapidly. The bike I saw it on must have had the headlight on high beam or mis-adjusted lowbeam as the light was certainly quite "attention grabbing".
                        Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

                        Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rod View Post
                          The don't flicker the light in a way that it looks like a strobe light - the light just sort of pulses very quickly like the power is reduced to 80% and cranked back up, very rapidly. The bike I saw it on must have had the headlight on high beam or mis-adjusted lowbeam as the light was certainly quite "attention grabbing".
                          It may very well have been modulating the high beam light because that is allowed.

                          The section of the act (posted above) shows that you can have it "modulating" either low beam OR high beam. This intrigues me because I would have thought this directly contradicts the rule about not having your high beams on when approaching other cars.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                            Does anyone have one?
                            I got one the otherday from Peter's Safety Solutions - Home and I also wear an orange vest for increased visibility

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              They 'modulate' the headlight and DON'T flash the headlight. They vary the power so the light dims and brightens. the full power high beam is only momentarily on - so less likelihood of dazzling oncoming vehicles. Was going to be the next mod to my FJR before I sold it. You can have it set on high beam or low beam but most use the high beam. As noted above they only 'modulate' during daylight.

                              Not sure but I've heard the HID lights are compatible - would suggest you check with manufacturer if running HID's.
                              Supported and kept fit by sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X