Squeaking Rear Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaking Rear Brake

Hey All I need some advice on how to get reid of a squeaking rwar brake. I had my reap pads changed at my last service and now they are squeaking. Any suggestions on how I can stop the noise.

Take the pads out, lightly buff the faces and leading edges, then reinstall them with a very thin coat of copper grease on the piston side only.
    DO NOT get any on the friction side or the brake rotor.
    Kthxbai.

Comment

RTV gasket maker works well on the back of the pads too if you've got any of that handy.

Comment

um, no.
        That'll dry solid, you want a bit of movement between the pistons and pads.

Comment

From experience, the Red RTV sealant has always remained flexible, atleast over a period of 6-12 months.
          It's basically rubber with a bit of acetic acid added to make it viscose instead of solid.

Comment

Yeah, but it's wrong.

Comment

It works.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                Take the pads out, lightly buff the faces and leading edges, then reinstall them with a very thin coat of copper grease on the piston side only.
                DO NOT get any on the friction side or the brake rotor.
                Kthxbai.
                ^^^ Correct practice

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
                RTV gasket maker works well on the back of the pads too if you've got any of that handy.
                ^^^ Incorrect practice.

Meh, I'm not gonna argue.

Comment

This is one of those rare occasions where I agree completely with Desmo. Onya Jim.
                  Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Shmeh.

Some of the the stop-squeal pastes you can buy from Auto1 or Repco is basically an RTV product, so I don't see the difference.
                    I've certainly seen mechanics use the high temp RTV on pads for a car before as it stops the pads sticking against the discs when the pistons retract.

Comment

Take out the pads and sand them to give a new surface and clear all the dust and crap from the rear caliper, and make sure all bolts are at a suitable torque. If this fails get used to it or use the from brakes more.
                      I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

Thanks guys, Just gave desmogods suggestion a go and seems to have fixed it.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X