Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alice back to Darwin- with a delamination along the way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice back to Darwin- with a delamination along the way.

Hi All,

Was happily minding my own business on the weekend riding back from Alice Springs to Darwin (see first two photos).

About 700km down the road, got speed wobbles. Stopped to check bike and found 1/3 of my rear tire had delaminated! Limped into Elliott 60km away. Could have been a lot worse...

My question is - do you think this catastrophic failure is unusual? I have a 1989 GSXR 1100. The tires (Continental sport attacks) were put on new this year and have done about 3000km touring km and 1000km commuting km. I have not taken them above 180kmph- the speed limit here is 130kmph.... I was told they were speed rated at least to 180kmph+.

I am thinking of contacting the tire company/importer/seller to ask if this failure is unexpected- because it definitely was a rude shock to me! Do you think this is worthwhile?

Many thanks for your opinions,

PS- if any of you do any serious touring- join the RAC or state equivalent. For $150 this year (top cover), I have been towed 3 times. For the towing from Elliott to Katherine it was going to cost $1300. They have covered it for me, put me up for the night and towed the bike to Darwin!

You lucky, lucky bastard....
    I would write to them and ask the question hey, thats pretty severe.

Comment

Wow, riding 60ks on that must have been fun!

Definitely worth asking the question, it may be that they will contribute to a replacement tyre as it should not have done that.

They may want to have a look it to see if they can find out why, ie a manufacturing defect or whether it has been damaged whilst you have been riding it.
      Adventure before Dementia

Comment

looking at the delamination, thats the entire carcass, not just a section.
        I'd hazard thats it's a manufacturing thing, not damage.
        How hot was the road just out of interest?

Comment

seems like a good price for petrol aswell :o

Comment

That looks like an alien attack on the rubber. This happens all the time (check background first pic)

Seriously contact the tyre manufacturer and send them the photos. They will give you a free replacement. I had something similar happen to my rear last year when dragracing ahem touring I mean, bridgestone were apologetic and gave me a store credit for a free replacement.

Comment

Watch out for cracks in the tread pattern - it's usually a precursor to something like this.

Still not something you'd expect from a reasonably new tyre.

Comment

was pretty hot on the road- drank 4L that day and was still thirsty...

Comment

I'd say it's a heat delamination judging by the way it has let go around the entire carcass.
                  was the bike loaded up much?

Comment

This is not really relevant seeing as a pillion would weigh more than your luggage (unless you're transporting gold bullion) but what is the weight rating like on bike tyres?
                    Long distances at highish speed with a heavy load would contribute to delamination but it's doesn't look like you had much weight.

Comment

Wow, thats crazy. You should definetly fire them off an email, you never know you might get some free tyres, last thing continental needs is bad press when they are trying to compete with more established brands

Comment

that screams all knids of wrong... that (or any tyre for that matter) under the operating conditions you described should NOT have done that. A tactful conversation (use email, with a high priority tag and repond/read required)with the regional/state manager of the said tyre manufacturer should see you with a new (most probably two new) tyres for the bike and a request for manufacturing defect analysis - tyres arent made one at a time, they are made in batches, you could be, not, the only one - so this is cause for them (manf.) to look further into the situ'
                        "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                        "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

What tyre pressures were you running? The weight you've got on the back + the distance and hot road means it'll be something they'll chase before they even consider a warranty claim.

Comment

do you still have the b0rked tyre?

Comment

wholly shit! your a lucky man for you to have walked away from that. Id be firing of emails, AND making the call to the shop you bought the tyre from.
                              Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                              hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X