question on front fork stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on front fork stands

I picked up a another stand that has the L brackets.

I was going to use this stand as afront stand, but im not too keen on supporting the ends of the forks on the L brackets - doesnt seem tht stable to me or is it ????

what i was thinking of doing was

1 getting alength of tubing or metal rod, strong enuff to support the weight of my bike and feeding it throught the hollow axles of my bike and using my other stand which has the V brackets to hook up said metal rod - seems a bit more stable perhaps

or

2. drilling say 10-12mm hole into the centre of the L brackets on the new stand and screwing into say 10-12mm bolt say 20mm in length and using these bolts to fit into the bottom holes of the fork legs to again provide a bit of stability.

any ideas good idea or bad - secondly anybody know where i could get said lengths of pipe or rode - have to be about 15mm thick by about 50cm wide.

hope all this makes sense ????

cheers dave

Through the axel sounds good would go for sum solid rod over pipe jut because its a bit stronger and more likly the bend slightly rather than collapse and fold. Suppilers, try a engineering/welding firm that just make sure you know what you want. Probally an off cut is all you are really after probally five bucks in the beer jar will cover you.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

dave, if its the ones that the ends come out of, you can get a seperate set of inserts from a bike shop so it can be used front or rear then.

for working on the front of the bike, its best to have the attachments that allow the axel removal - some of these stands block off where the axel comes out and these are useless for getting the front wheel out.

i think your bike has the radial calipers, so there is another set of attachments that fit under the radial brakcets really well. whatever you use, make sure the rubbers are in good condition - scratches the shit of the forks otherwise.
      Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

okay , yes both of my race stands have the removable bars with either the L brackets or the V brackets attached.

Are you saying i can buy the ends that have the pickup points for forks ends??

ps i got the stands more for cleaning duties than anything else , as my teknamickle skills are nothing flash :-)

Comment

Hi Corks,

I purchased a pair of front and rear stands off ebay, my front stand has 3 pieces of rod welded to a triangular section that inserts into the main stand. I'll take some images for you and post them.

After using them, i would only now use a front stand that connects to the triple clamps. These allow you to remove your front wheel and provide a very stable support. My Bimota has quick release axle clamps so the standard front supports dont work.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

cool, thanks for that - alas at the moment, i cant use a steering head stand as the hole is filled with a aftermarket steering damper

had a look at the stands , ive got - ones a sharp the others made by action, anybody got or know if/where i could buy the front stand atapters ????
            Last edited by perdition; 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Hi Corks,

Please see photo.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

These work ok if you have radial calipers anything else its a bit shakey.
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                  These work ok if you have radial calipers anything else its a bit shakey.
                  Yeah i agree, i think they are absolute rubbish, the rear isn't much better.

That will teach me to buy stuff of ebay

Steve

Comment

thanks for the photos , what im doing at the mo, is sourching some steel rod 16mm x 40cm and just gonna put it through the hollow axles and and lift it up using the V-brackets for race bobbins ill let you know how that works out

cheers dave

Comment

here's what i did -

got a 15mm x 40cm rod (thanks Wendy) that fits through the axle, then used the V brackets
                      to pick the rod as per piccies - very solid

down sides cant take the wheel offf :mellow:

Comment

Working...
                      X