Repacking a muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repacking a muffler

Bunkies Kerker muffler has developed a rattle and is getting louder, in not a nice way, Andy has suggested that it is time to have it repack, so was wondering - How hard is it, what is involved, where do I get the stuff to do it etc. etc.

I have only done dirt bike ones, but its pretty easy.

Buy 'muffler packing' from any bike shop - comes in a bag, and is normally enough to do 2 bikes.

May have to drill out some rivets to get the muffler apart - slip the core out - remove the old stuff - find out what is rattling round in there - possiblt something rusted apart - repack with new stuff - tape it up so it fits back in the muffler housing - squeeze it back in there - re-rivet or put the bolts back in if it came with bolts.

The rivet size can be 3-4mm - much bigger than the standard domestic ones - stainless rivets should go back in - these can be a bastard to refit with the small hand rivet gun - the rivet tool that spreads apart with the 5-6 'X's' make this a bit easier if you dont have a pneumatic one.

There should be a few how to's on dirt bike ones floating round the web
    Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Found this too Stoney

How to Repack Motorcycle Mufflers - Motorcyclist Online

Comment

Last edited by TORQ; 06-11-2007, 07:25 AM. Reason: bah

Comment

Been thrashin' it too much ? Take the bike off ya hands for a CBD Lunch :p

Comment

Thanks Rob

TORQIE POO um no, you enjoy the ZX7

Comment

I dont know the cost of the stuff you use Rob, but for 30bux you can buy a Barfridge sized bag of pink bats (gold bats, same shit, i use the yellow stuff) and it does about 10 years with of mufflers. Ive only ever bought two bags ... and if you use alum rivets, its easy to drill out and re-do once or twice a year.

The rattle, you may find is a broken core. When packing falls out of a muffler, they then resonate till they snap under hot gas and rpm pulsations. Wise to keep mufflers freshly packed for power and reliability.

Comment

I read somewhere about this wool based stuff thats supposedly awsome for repacking. Its used in kilns so its good for verry high temps and is probably nicer to handle then fiberous insulation, i'll try to dig up the link at lunch.
                Wheres the best place to get new cores from?

Comment

Ok apparently after a lil bit of looking, this stuff is the shizzle

Silent Sport - Area P :: No Limits

tech info

Silent Sport - Area P :: No Limits

Comment

From personal experience, there are two types of packing, one in a mat form that you wrap around the core then wrap wire around it to keep it tight and put core back in muffler, never had much luck with this stuff, PITA. the other is the fluffy stuff like fairy floss, just get a stick or long screwdriver and keep ramming it into muffler between core and outer skin till you can push no more in then rivet end cap back on, just be careful to keep the core on centre though as the end cap locates on the core, if its off centre the cap wont go back on, can take 2-3 packs of packing in one muffler, about $25-$35 worth. might be cheaper to get some insulation bats as saf said, as long as you dont mind the extra sitting around your house till you need it again, packs in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Foofie Foofie View Post
                      but for 30bux you can buy a Barfridge sized bag of pink bats
                      I could really take that 1 of 2 ways!!!!

Comment

There is only one way Rob, the little guy off PSB

Comment

Stopping in at the bike shops on the way home, but might just go the batts, won't be any sitting around, de-evolve has been wanting me to stick bats in the ceiling for a longtime, just keep spending the money on other things (I will get to see you sometime Sathid )

Comment

Just repacked the Bimotas mufflers, when i opened them up i discovered the original packing was steel wool.

I replaced it with the stuff from the bike shop, about $15 for a bag, it did both mufflers with enough left over to do it again. I don't know what your mufflers are like, but when i removed the outers of mine, there was only a narrow gap for packing, so you may have problems with batts, they are also a pain in the ass to work with. Just my 2c

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Foofie Foofie View Post
                              I dont know the cost of the stuff you use Rob, but for 30bux you can buy a Barfridge sized bag of pink bats (gold bats, same shit, i use the yellow stuff) and it does about 10 years with of mufflers. Ive only ever bought two bags ... and if you use alum rivets, its easy to drill out and re-do once or twice a year.

The rattle, you may find is a broken core. When packing falls out of a muffler, they then resonate till they snap under hot gas and rpm pulsations. Wise to keep mufflers freshly packed for power and reliability.
                              Is this better than Steel Wool?

My packing is starting to go and I want to make it quieter, but it it possible to pack too much in?
                              You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Working...
                              X