Brake fluid recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake fluid recommendations

I'm looking at fitting braided lines to the R1 next weekend.
    I did a couple of searches and found some great how-to threads.
    From these I'm guessing DOT 4 or 5.1 is the way to go...but I didn't find anything on brands, any recommended brands?
    I use the bike for commuting mostly, and try to squeeze in a trakdayz or tuning session 1ce a month, but don't work the brakes too hard.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Cheers
    -JC-

Motul 5.1 = good stuff
    Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

I'm not an expert, but I believe that any "brand" should be fine - if brand X complies with DOT rating Y, it can handle ZZZ degrees C before boiling.

There's not really a lot else for it to be measured by?

Just go for DOT 5.1, it can handle higher temps, and the cost of brake fluid is pretty cheap really...
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Dot 5.1 is usally silicone based it does howeve have one drawback it doesn't absorb miosture. So under high temp the miosture turns to steam and you end up with effectivly air in the system. Not a problem if you have a race bike and change the fluid every other meet. If its a road bike where you might change the fuild once every now and then (ideally should be 6months/10 000kms whichever comes first) dot four mineral based stuff is better as it will absorb the miosture it does however become contaminated over time.

Brands most bike shops buy the 500ml dot four you can get for your car basically providing its dot 4 it should be ok. However do not use dot 4 to top up dot 5 or the other way round.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

It's like oil, people wank on about brand X or brand Y curing cancer and giving them a firmer erection. But as long as you use something semi-decent (ie. a brand you've heard of before), and change it on a regular basis, then you will be fine.
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

There's a measurable difference between the boiling points of certain brands of fluids with and without absorbed moisture. They all boil well over 200'c, which you should rarely see on the street.

For street use, anything DOT4 should be fine.
            If you find you're getting brake fade under repeated heavy use, then it's probably something you should be concerning yourself with.

Comment

DOT *5* is silicone, DOT 5.1 is not, it's the same as (well, compatible with) DOT3/4...

edit:
              for lack of a better reference...

Brake fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yeah, if you're getting fade on the street, the chances are (unless your brake fluid is ancient) it's your pads (either that, or you're a total nut-case - good luck with that )...
              Last edited by thro; 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Thanks for the advice, it's pointed me in the right direction.
                Cheers
                -JC-

Comment

I was told never to mix n match fluids.

For example .... if youve been running a non silicone based fluid ... then stick to that .. dont switch to a silicone based one. Reason being that it can affect the perishable components in the system.
                  Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

brake fluid

MOTUL RBF 600 ftw.
                    Its better to be a racer for a moment in time than a spectator forever.

Comment

That really bright purple stuff cos it looks the business on the Blade's flatbars

Seriously, it works really well with the HEL braided lines I've fitted. And no more brake-fade.

Comment

Working...
                      X