Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poly-urethane coatings. experiences?

howdy

have been looking into getting some pieces on my old blade powder coated in gold, but there is a very small range and the colours arent that great.

one of the powdercoaters mentioned to me that they could do a poly-urethane coating on my rims, bar ends, fuel filler and a few other little bits for $250, in any colour i wanted.

this sounds good to me as its cheaper than painting.

just wondering if anyone has has had any experience with it?
    i want to know if it is likely to chip or discolour or anything.

cheers
    Respect is earned, not enforced.

Polyurethane is used on kitchen cupboard doors and places like that. It's not really porous, so as long as you keep the rims fairly clean, I don't see a problem with staining.

They use a formaldehyde softener/solvent, so it should be ok with kerosene and chain oil/wax.

Not had any direct experience though.

Comment

Just browsing through some articles on the net, and polyurethane coatings are apparently very similar to 2-pack.

Comment

In the old days when you powder coated somthing it turned out rubbery,now days it almost a dead ringer for 2 pack.

The old stuff was very hard to chip,obviously because or it rubber propities.

The new stuff does what 2-pac does in my exp,if you get a chip its a good one.

Come to think of it the last truck a sprayed in 2-pac was with poly urethane.

End of the day it's gunna be the same result as painting it only less colour range.
        Oh except you deff wont get runs in the the powder coating,lol.
        "YOU CAN TEACH A FAST RIDER TO STOP CRASHING,BUT YOU CANT TEACH A SLOW RIDER TOO RIDE FAST." Mick Doohan

Comment

Working...
        X