No announcement yet.

Dropping a helmet, how far is too far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping a helmet, how far is too far?

I have always been careful with my helmets and have been dubious about wearing a helmet that has been dropped, even from a low hight such as off the back of a bike. However recently I recently met someone that drops his helmet on a regular basis and has no quarms about it as "its not falling that far".

I am now curious as to how far is too far. Does dropping your helmet once warrant a new helmet.
    If it is dropped at all I get a new one.
    14.94%
    Once its been dropped a few times I'll get a new one.
    26.44%
    If I have an accident I'll get a new one.
    48.28%
    I'll never replace it just cause its dropped, only when it wears out.
    10.34%

If I dropped it off my seat onto the pacement (my seat is quite high) then I would probably replace it at soon as I could if the shell took the impact. If it landed on the screen I would just replace that.

Comment

hard question. Personally I would just check it out and if there were no visible signs of damage (other than a few light scratches) I'd continue to use it.
      Originally posted by kyliejane
      benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
      Originally posted by harns
      Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

you can send it away to the manufacturer for testing but because they cannot "guarantee" it they will probably just cut the straps and send it back

Comment

id still use it
          If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

id say anything over waist/belly height is probably too far... or if it lands on the corner of something.. but then there is going to be obvious damage

Comment

Simple answer: if it bounces, that's probably too far and needs to be replaced.

Both my gf's and my helmets dropped off the ironing board, but because it landed on the carpet and some clothes I'm saying that it's ok. I SWEAR SHE LEANED BACK AND KNOCKED THEM OFF THOUGH. Why do you hate my stuff woman...
              Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

I went through this last year when my lid rolled off my bike seat and landed on the ground with a crash. After careful inspection of the damage (large paint chip plus a little chip out of the plastic underlayer) and considering my lid was about 4 years old I decided it would be best to replace it.

How much is your head worth? If you are confident it wasn't a high drop, the surface it landed on wasn't that bad and the helmet isn't that old, then you could probably continue to use it and it MAY be perfectly capable of doing its job should the need arise, perish the thought. Anything outside of those parameters and I would be looking at replacing it pronto.

Then again, everyone has an opinion and some may say that with any drop you should replace it. I'm sure the helmet manufacturers would love you to do it too.

PS old buggered helmets make for good target practice for high powered rifles :awesome:

Comment

I haven't dropped mine yet. I believe the assessors/vehicle examiners are under the rule if it drops, it must be replaced.

Personally, as long as long as the helment had no damage that could be detected by sight or touch, I'd still go with it.

Originally posted by Tenchi View Post
                  Why do you hate my stuff woman...
                  Probably for the same reason my mother liked to pick up any electronic equipment in my room and rest it near a powerful magnet I had when she had no business moving my stuff in the first place...

Comment

fuck. i've dropped mine (badly) at least ten times.

might be time for a new one..

Comment

I'd go the 4 second rule, I reckon.

Comment

i had friends who ran a funeral palour for a while they always talked about motorcycle victims always having their head fine but the rest of the body a mess, always good to have a good helmet but if it doesnt survive a drop off the bike how will it protect you against against the ##@** in the new jeep cheroke.
                        I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

Look inside your helmet and pull back the inner lining. Inside is styrofoam(or something liek it) if it has small cracks(like hairline fracture) its toast.
                          Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                          hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

The thing i often wonder with helmet integrity is how tough does the helmet really need to be?
                            most lids in fair condition would go far enough to stop your head caving in but at the end of the day your head is still siting on the neck and spine which is the week point
                            National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastgirl View Post
                              Look inside your helmet and pull back the inner lining. Inside is styrofoam(or something liek it) if it has small cracks(like hairline fracture) its toast.
                              Yeah I did this a couple of weeks back with my old MX helmet that I keep as a memento (smashed myself up wearing that lid and rendered the helmet unserviceable in the process) and saw plenty of cracks in the hard Styrofoam lining = unserviceable.

Comment

Working...
                              X