how similar are the inline 4 engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how similar are the inline 4 engines?

ive been inside half a dozen different honda engines and found that once you had opened one up, all the others were a piece of piss to work on.

so the question is, are there any huge differences between the honda, yammy, sukuzi, and kwaka inline 4's?

ie do they all have the same sort of layout with alternator on the left, clutch on the right, cam chain on the right?
    do they all use half shells for the big end and main bearings and ball bearings for the tranny shafts?
    etc etc

no real reason for asking. just curious if i were to open up a gixxer thou or similar if i would come across anything strange and unusual to me

cheers
    Respect is earned, not enforced.

suzuki engines are full of pigeons

Really, i have no idea. Im assuming you mean that all the honda 4s are all pretty much the same? Pretty sure all the big 4 have the same basic layout, clutch on left etc, but i dunno about all the bearings
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

They are all similar in the basic layout. You just find they do the add on bits different, ie cam chain tensioner, rocker gear or direct cam on valve, and stuff like that...

Comment

Yes, with exceptions.

For example, I think on one of the hondas (might even be the new 600rr, i forget) they moved the starter motor to the other side to increase ground clearance.

But yes, the basics will all be the same. The "devil is in the details" so to speak.

Things like cam profiles, cylinder head ports, inlet/exhaust manifolds and software will be where most of the trickery is these days - the basic DOHC engine design was a problem "solved" a long time ago....

edit:
        I'll also add - there's no point in them changing the basic stuff just "because". All it does is make their own stuff harder to support, increase training costs, etc, etc... if it *is* different in some way, you can be pretty sure there's a reason for it...
        Last edited by thro; 10-11-2007, 01:19 PM.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
          For example, I think on one of the hondas (might even be the new 600rr, i forget) they moved the starter motor to the other side to increase ground clearance
          think it was an 03 600rr that had the starter shifted over to the other side (clutch side). the other engines ive been inside all had it on the alternator side.

Originally posted by S4R View Post
          They are all similar in the basic layout. You just find they do the add on bits different, ie cam chain tensioner, rocker gear or direct cam on valve, and stuff like that...
          who uses rockers?
          shim-under-bucket would be the norm wouldnt it?
          Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

all manufacturers of inline fours get em made in the hyosung factory

nex on the block

well, they make the suzuki sv motors and they aint a half bad bike

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by duffman View Post
              who uses rockers?
              shim-under-bucket would be the norm wouldnt it?
              Older models...

My GPZ600 was rockers with adjusters.

ZZR1100 was rockers acting on shim and bucket.

But yes I believe most modern performance bikes are using direct actuation shim and bucket.

Comment

Working...
              X