jump starting a bike using a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jump starting a bike using a car?

Ok guys Ive searched around for this and just wanted some confirmation that it is possible? (provided they are both 12V batteries?)

And it follows pretty much the normal jump starting procedure for connecting and such?

thanks

Yeah I've done it heaps of times (as long as they're both 12V but most cars and bikes are these days anyway).

Comment

thanks for the quick reply

*runs off to throw the useless old battery charger in the bin and grab the good-ol' trusty jumper leads out*

Comment

I did it yesterday, and nothing exploded.
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

If you are really concerned start off the car battery without the car running, then you know you are only using 12v and not the 14v produced by the car alternator.

Cheers

Dave
          10 metre rule - Takes the guess work out of f_cking ugly!!!

Comment

I know the Kawasaki manual for my motorbike has a small section dedicated to starting the bike via jump start. Strangely enough it doesn't have anything on roll starting though...
            Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Easy Steps to Start Your Bike:
              1. Turn on ignition
              2. Put Bike in Neutral
              3. Check road.
              4. Grip bars.
              5. Run.
              6. Jump on.
              7. Pull In Clutch, Kick up into second
              8. Release clutch.
              9. Enjoy your ride.

Jump start = time consuming and pointless.
              The Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by resist View Post
                Easy Steps to Start Your Bike:
                1. Turn on ignition
                2. Put Bike in Neutral
                3. Check road.
                4. Grip bars.
                5. Run.
                6. Jump on.
                7. Pull In Clutch, Kick up into second
                8. Release clutch.
                9. Enjoy your ride.

Jump start = time consuming and pointless.

tried it about 500 times already
                its not a lot of help when im trying to determine if its my alternator that has died....and my bike has a flat battery...

turns out its not battery related anyway...
                bike is turning over but just doesnt seem to want to kick over

Comment

even if your bike is kicking over, it still might have too weak a spark due to low battery, causing it to not start. Have you tried jumpstarting yet?
                  If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

yeah mate tried just then... with and without the car running...

it turns over nicely but just doesnt seem to be firing...havent checked for spark/fuel etc,
                    I dont have the time or the care factor to fix it right now, so its time to hand over some $$ to a motorcycle workshop and get her fixed

Comment

Just a +1, have done it.... 180sx to GPX250...

As to resist's bump starting advice... it's all well and good if the bike doesn't have one of the gay kawasaki positive neutral finders that won't let you select second gear without the engine running.

Jez and I spent about 15 minutes trying to bump his GPX in first (rear just locks and/or didn't fire) only for me to say "fuck this", get out the jumper leads and start it in 5 minutes that way

Also +1 to maybe it will crank over and not start. The GPX was cranking over for a few minutes before we had to try and bump it because the battery ran too flat. It started isntantly from being jump started by car battery....

edit:

If you've tried to start it heaps and now it wont' start with a known good battery, maybe the plugs are fouled or it's flooded...?
                      Last edited by thro; 11-11-2007, 01:58 PM.
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

have you checked the fuel pump, if all electrics are working, then that could be the problem.

just putting it out there.. im no mechanic, but i had a similar problem with my car, thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by resist View Post
                          Words extolling virtues of push starting
                          Unless like me you can't.

Jumpstarting notes for the new players:
                          If your bike has EFI...
                          Positive to positive,
                          Negative to footpeg,
                          Connect the positive first and remove it last.
                          "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

As ice said, also leave the headlights for both vehicles on then if there is a surge you have more chance of blowing a globe rather than the computer.
                            10 metre rule - Takes the guess work out of f_cking ugly!!!

Comment

Has anyone *ever* blown up an EFI computer before?

None of this "i heard through a friend that her sister's cousin's brother's husband once had a mate who blew one" - i mean real first hand experience?

I've jumped heaps of EFI cars, and all the ECUs i've seen have fuses in any case....

oh no... a 50c fuse... but even so it's never come to that even....

I mean really... where is the surge coming from? The other car? if so, wouldn't it blow the car's own computer?

I vote +1 for old wives tale... edit: or rather... old pushrod, carbie, dizzy v8 mechanic who fears "those damn electronic jap cars", back in hicksville, US...
                              Last edited by thro; 11-11-2007, 03:31 PM.
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X