how do i remove contact adhesive without destroying fibreglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i remove contact adhesive without destroying fibreglass

Hey all - the seat section of the race glass on my gixxer had a thin foam cushion glued to the paint by contact adhesive.

I would like to know if there's an easy way to remove the contact adhesive without melting the fibreglass.. I dont care if it strips the paint (acrylic i believe) but i can't have it eating into the glass

anyone?

acetone... should not harm the fibreglass but should eat the glue and probably the foam pad aswell

Comment

awesome. as it happens i have 5 litres of it in the shed. going to go try it on an 'inconspicuous area' haha

Thanks rich!

Comment

Originally posted by S4R View Post
        acetone... should not harm the fibreglass but should eat the glue and probably the foam pad aswell
        Acetone is used to clean up fibre glass, brushes rollers etc so would eat into the resin if you used enough of it. Get a 25mm steel scraper, sharpen it, get it in under the foam, will cut it off and take some of the glue with it, then hit the remainder of the glue with a 4" grinder with a sanding pad on it, or a paint stripping/scotchbrite if you have one

Comment

I think once the fibreglass is set it's alright to use acetone..

Comment

prepsol should work fine too

edit- semi
            Hello, you've reached the psychiatric hotline. If you are obsessive/compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you have multiple personalities, press 2, 3, 4, and 5. If you are simply paranoid, just stay on the line - we know who you are.

Comment

Yep, does the trick. Takes the paint off too! doesnt seem to affect the gelcoat though so that's ok..

one odd thing i noticed - i had sanded the paint around the seat to a dull finish in preparation for primer over the top.. some acetone dripped down over the sanded paint and turned it glassy smooth and glossier than any spray job I've ever seen. wierd!

Comment

So the bike didn't go up in a heap of smoke and flames?

Or melt all over the floor?

Comment

I have the seat unit off the bike

bike is already broken neway

Comment

Can always try Eucalyptus oil gets sticky resdue of other areas (not bike related) I have found

Comment

Working...
                    X