Tyres and replacing them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres and replacing them

Did a quick search, didn't see anything bleedingly obvious about tyres and how often you replace them.

So... my questions are:
    1. What should I look for in a tyre?
    2. How often should I replace them? (kms)
    3. How much do they cost (this one I actually COULD find some info - most people say about $500 for 2, fitted)?
    4. Any suggestions for a good roadgoing tyre that has good grip and isn't too soft/wears well? Of course, I'd like something that's cheaper, but quality over economy.
    5. Do you replace both tyres at the same time where possible?
    Last edited by Dubs; 07-12-2007, 09:10 AM. Reason: tech query
    Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

I Like Bridgestones, I find they hold thier shape better than other tyres for the course of thier life. They are also reasonably priced. Last Wednesday I had an 020 rear and 014 front fitted to the 650 Hyosung [$470 at 2 Wheel Wreckers] after 21000km on the original BT56's. I also tend to put a softer tyre on the front to balance the front and rear wear rates.
    Bikes are good, Cars are bad, Green is better than Gold.

Comment

You have a GPX right?

What you look for in a tyre is one that is available for the 16 inch wheels you have

edit:
      Ahh... ZZR, not quite so bad. But yeah, imho look for the best grip you can find for the environment you ride in, screw everything else.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Not many tires are available for the 16 inch combo on the GPX which sucks,

Check out some of the dual compound tyres if you ride pretty hard. Pilot power (RC2??) Harder compound down the center for commuting and softer compound for cornering

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
          You have a GPX right?

What you look for in a tyre is one that is available for the 16 inch wheels you have

edit:
          Ahh... ZZR, not quite so bad. But yeah, imho look for the best grip you can find for the environment you ride in, screw everything else.
          GPX = ZZR with less (breakable) plastic.

I plan to find something that will grip nicely. If nothing stands out I'll probably just go for what tyres I have on there now. They're not too bad... haven't had any problems, nice cornering and nice wear.

I'm taking the attitude that I had with my car - I had some Yokohamas on the car when I first got it. Lovely tyres, soft as f*ck and wore down in no time. I ended up switching brands a few times until I got to my current ones, but to be honest I could have just asked a few people and found out that the ones I have on there right now are a nice set of tyres. Just wondernig what other people have on their bikes, that's all.

Originally posted by taint View Post
          Not many tires are available for the 16 inch combo on the GPX which sucks,

Check out some of the dual compound tyres if you ride pretty hard. Pilot power (RC2??) Harder compound down the center for commuting and softer compound for cornering
          I don't ride pretty hard but generally speaking I prefer to have that option open. The idea of lowsiding my bike doesn't sit well with me. Again, I'll have to chat to the people in the shops before I start making choices.

No one has answered after how many kms they replace the tyres...

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi View Post
            No one has answered after how many kms they replace the tyres...
            That's coz there's no answer to it.
            How many Kms you get will depend on your bike, riding style, tyre pressures and the conditions you ride in (Including the road surfaces and how often you ride.)

I've managed to get 23,000kms out of a Pilot Power rear (and it wasn't down to its wear markers)... Most will only get a few thousand.
            Last edited by Ice; 11-11-2007, 07:02 PM.
            "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Ive gotten 12000km out of a rear tyre on a 125 2smoke, just as an indicator how random it is. Not that the burnouts or skids that i never do contribute to that. Used to go to uni with a dude who had a GSXR750, 6000km a rear tyre, but he rode on country roads alot.
              I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

Wow, that's pretty wide varying. Incredible. I guess you could say that I ride pretty gentle-like, occasional hard braking, pretty rare though. I guess you could say that I'd be expecting about 10,000 out of a tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi View Post
                  GPX = ZZR with less (breakable) plastic.

no, theres plenty of differences, the different wheel sizes being the most important here
                  If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

^^ Yeah whs, and what i was implying.

The ZZRs have 17" wheels, which make your tyre selection a lot more open.

With the GPX (16s), you have basically 1 or 2 choices

And yeah, how long you get out of tyres "depends". There's no km figure.

Look at them. if they're squared off (from too many straight lines) instead of nicely curved, perished, rock hard from being in the sun too much or below minimum tread depth, replace them.

I've done about 4500km on my standard 600RR's BT015s and i reckon they're probably 50% worn or so.... scorpion82 on here had canvas hanging out of his rear tyre on his GPX after 9,000km.
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                      ^^ Yeah whs, and what i was implying.

The ZZRs have 17" wheels, which make your tyre selection a lot more open.

With the GPX (16s), you have basically 1 or 2 choices

And yeah, how long you get out of tyres "depends". There's no km figure.

Look at them. if they're squared off (from too many straight lines) instead of nicely curved, perished, rock hard from being in the sun too much or below minimum tread depth, replace them.

I've done about 4500km on my standard 600RR's BT015s and i reckon they're probably 50% worn or so.... scorpion82 on here had canvas hanging out of his rear tyre on his GPX after 9,000km.
                      Yet another thing I didn't know about my bike. Different wheel size to the GPX. I always thought they both had 16" wheels.

They're still very new tyres, but I was wondering since minimum tread depth doesn't seem that deep on motorbike tyres (unlike car tyres, which have a good 9mm worth of tread when you first get them. I had a look at them, they're not squared off but they do a lot of straight line work so while still round they seem to be wearing in the middle more. Not perished or rock hard, and while they haven't met their markers yet I get the feeling they seem like there isn't much in the way of grooves. I'm putting it down to my noob status with bikes, but it's better to ask and look stupid than to not ask and look stupider.

Comment

All the grooves do is help in wet weather, and even then bike tyres are curved so they disperse water a lot better than car tyres anwyay.

With summer here, i wouldn't worry about them if they look like they're OK - maybe hold off and get a new set (with nice deep tread) for winter.

Heaps of people seem to blame accidents on tyres, when the reality is that it's more likely they simply fucked up. If a tyre is slippery, adjust your riding to suit...

Comment

My first tyre change is tomorrow, I have done 10 thousand. I have a GPX.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thread revival

My OEM Bridgestone 015 rear rubber lasted 7500km. I was pushing it a bit though the centerline had less than 1mm tread depth but I kept fooling myself into thinking it had more in it as I figured the tread on the sides was maybe 2-3mm.

Anyone know how a really worn tyre heats and cools compared to a tyre in decent condition?

The shape of the tyre hadn't squared off visibly but towards the end of its life it had a tendancy to tip or squiggle around a little when leaned right over. I'm not sure if thats due to the way the tyre wears or how it responds to heat when worn. It wasn't a big deal in fact it kind of made the bike sharper than it used to be. A little more unstable but more responsive I think.

Anyway I switched to the BT016. Its been on for a week and I've taken it out 3 times. This new rear tyre is much, much better.

Comment

What choices do I have in tire brands for 17" wheels. I am also thinking of changing my oem compounds to better ones before winter, I'm thinking hard in the middle and soft on the side tyres. I got a Ninja 250R. I heard people putting up to 150 on the rear. But I think I won't go that wide since the standard is only 130. Might cause clearance problems with the standard swingarm.
                              So if you guys can recommend the tyre brand and models that is good all round and value for money.

Comment

Working...
                              X