Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would cause a sluggish throttle in FI bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would cause a sluggish throttle in FI bike?

My SV was bought brand new 18months and has had crisp throttle response the whole time. In the last week I can notice that its becoming just noticeably sluggish on the throttle, just not so 'instant' as its always been. What could cause that? I had the 12k service done about 4 weeks ago.

I thought it might be the chain/wheels but I can feel a small difference just blipping the throttle in neutral too. Maybe the hot weather? Its a really small difference, but you notice these things on your beloved
    the universe is hostile

maybe you are just getting used to the bike, ride it slow on purpose for a week and then open her up see how she feels, what bike is it?
    I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

My bike had gummed up injectors, had the same symptom. It creeps up so slowly that I never really noticed that much, and just learnt to ride around it.

But at the 18,000km service the mechanic put some injector cleaner through it, and the difference was amazing. Try that first, it's a $5 fix, then start looking at more exotic things.
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Throttle bodies need adjusting?

If you commute every day you may find your bike gets a bit sluggish and feul economy declines. A good trip out to and blat around the hills should clear things out. Did my gixxer the world of good.

Comment

my guesses in no particular order

spark plugs dirty
          injectors dirty
          fuel filter clogged
          air filter dirty
          TB's out of tune

Comment

I have an FZ6 and had a simmilar thing last saturday, it was the first 30+ temps I'd ridden in this summer and the throttle was very sluggish off idle. Rode it for about 45min and it sorted itself out. I figured the ECU was just getting used to the heat but I didn't think it would have taken so long. It could always have been some other random thing that just append to coincide with the heat.

Comment

Another "my guess" post - haven't had a lot to do with efi bikes yet, but have with efi cars:

water temp sensor - if this doesn't work properly the bike may run rich (like its on the choke)

map/afm sensor dirty/clogged

tps

plugs

air filter
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by smokeymatt View Post
                maybe you are just getting used to the bike, ride it slow on purpose for a week and then open her up see how she feels, what bike is it?
                mmmebe, riding slow for a whole week is really not an option 2006 SV1000

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                My bike had gummed up injectors, had the same symptom. It creeps up so slowly that I never really noticed that much, and just learnt to ride around it.

But at the 18,000km service the mechanic put some injector cleaner through it, and the difference was amazing. Try that first, it's a $5 fix, then start looking at more exotic things.
                Then I'll def try that first, do bike shops ususally have these bottles?

Originally posted by Daywalker View Post
                I have an FZ6 and had a simmilar thing last saturday, it was the first 30+ temps I'd ridden in this summer and the throttle was very sluggish off idle. Rode it for about 45min and it sorted itself out. I figured the ECU was just getting used to the heat but I didn't think it would have taken so long. It could always have been some other random thing that just append to coincide with the heat.
                Thats it, thats almost exactly what I mean. Soon as the heat arrived she just took a while to sort herself out and still doesnt feel as crisp as usual. In the first 20min I could even find a point in the rev range (right on cruising revs) where there was a tiny lurch but it went away
                the universe is hostile

Comment

Bear in mind that hotter air will give you less power in general anyway.

I forget what teh % is for each degree rise in intake temp, but I would think that 10C should make a noticable difference.

Can certainly feel a huge difference with the turbo cage when the air temp drops down to the teens in the evenings in winter

edit:
                  example from: Charge Cooling Intake air temperature vs. power

Could also be the ignition timing getting retarded - bikes are pretty high compression/highly tuned - hot air will mean that it can't run as much ignition advance, which will make it feel less "snappy" or crisp, and drop power output further... and old non-electronically controlled bike will just run less timing in general and be "safe" for whatever conditions... newer gear will take advantage of cooler weather.
                  Last edited by thro; 16-11-2007, 11:16 AM.
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Then I'll def try that first, do bike shops ususally have these bottles?
                    bike shops/ petrol station/ supercheap.

+ give the bike a bit of a hiding when you run it.

Comment

Working...
                    X