RGV Engine swap, suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RGV Engine swap, suggestions.

Now, I have decided that an engine swap would be a good project for the RGV.
    I would love to stick to a 2 stroke, but to achieve a tractable, torquey output, I'm thinking maybe a big single. I would love an Aprilia 550 twin, but they are so bloody expensive and unreliable I think I'll give it a miss.
    Anybody have any suggestions? (Not an RZ motor thanks Troy)

What about a single from a husaberg or similar. Pushing around 60hp and the same sort of torque figure. Still require regular maintanance, but less than the new piston that the Aprilia engine needs every 7k km's

edited to make sense
    Last edited by taint; 16-11-2007, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Honda Dominator 650 single or XR600 or XR650.
      "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

See, thats what I was thinking, or CR500 motor, but a Honda motor in a Suzuki frame?
        Seems a bit blasphemous to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post
          Honda Dominator 650 single or XR600 or XR650.
          Good choice for reliability but I think they are too heavy and are in a very low state of tune. Have to spend a bit of $$ to get them to perform well. Lots of torque though

Comment

RG500.

You know you want to.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Yeah, that is the dream swap, but try finding a motor for an acceptable price.

Comment

RGV500

Interesting But not what you are after, I have heard the ns 400 motors fit again 2 stroke though.

Maybe a crf 450r motor If you put all the fun bits in first and then you can get parts fairly cheap? would obviously need some work to crank the hp but should fit well, kick start as well.
                Last edited by Satan1; 16-11-2007, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                  See, thats what I was thinking, or CR500 motor, but a Honda motor in a Suzuki frame?
                  Seems a bit blasphemous to me.
                  Okay, how about Suzuki GS500 twin. No joke, it's a very nice engine. Lots of torque and revs nicely too.
                  "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                    RG500. You know you want to.
                    5char
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                      Yeah, that is the dream swap, but try finding a motor for an acceptable price.

You've got two working kidneys right?

“Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

See, I have so much want for an RGV500.
                        Anyone have a motor?

Comment

busa motor.

Comment

I wonder if a TRX850 motor would fit?

People have tried fitting bigger V-twins before (sv400 and sv650 iirc) but they are really a bit big.

What about a motor from say, a rmx250? or kdx250 (since the zook and kawaka now use the same engine)
                            Road registerable bikes, plus the engine will be newer than the rgv, so no issues like Mr Moose had with the rz/mito conversion.
                            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

I think someone once did a CR500 swap into an RGV or a Mito (forget exactly which, some small lightweight 2stroke anyway) that they used as a trackbike, I recall reading a webpage about it anyhow.

They ended up going back to the original motor as although it was faster on the straights, the huge rotating mass of the CR500 crankshaft made it a pig to lean into corners (gyro effect plus torque steer).

Comment

Working...
                              X