Port matching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port matching.

Does anyone know anything about, or have experience with port matching on 2 stroke motors?

Try GD Engineering - Trouble is with this black magic type stuff, the more the years go on, the less of this type stuff gets handed down.
    Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Yeah, from my understanding, it's ensuring that the inlet ports are the same height and size in each cylinder.

Comment

as rob said its a bit of a black art. I know troy and some other guys pay $$$ to get them sent internationaly

Comment

if its got reed valves on the inlets, then the inlet is not the major issue. the biggest gains to be made are from the exhaust port height and the transfer ports. match ports and gaskets and clean up rough castings

Comment

Matching is not that hard but you must knowthe height you want ! I have done it heaps. Measure the distance from the port to the top of the barrel. Once you have found a port that is the right height (not normally this easy). Put the piston in backward and watch which ports get uncovered first as you move the piston up and down the bore. Note you look at the piston crown while doing this makes it easier to see which ports are out. Thats it. Now what port timing do you want ??? Thats the tricky bit. One of the main gains in a RGV engine is making sure the Squish is even all the way round the piston/squish band, often you measure one spot and get it good then another is out ! Have fun I like 4st's now mmmm Titanuim valves

MM

Comment

I was under the impression that port matching is making sure the transfer ports on both the left and right cylinder are at the same height from the deck, and the same volume.
              Am I incorrect?

Comment

Here's a diagram of 2 supposedly identical barrels, with their dimensions.
                Do I want to marry these all up?

Comment

doesn't it help with making torrents faster?

Comment

If your keen, ping me.

This is a ISR service, however ISR isnt running till the new year, ISR is oversea.

Comment

Comment

Yep that it Where did you get the specs from ?

Comment

I drilled down through the RGV forum until I found it.
                          I'll be port matching the barrels to the casings, and sorting out the gaskets too

Comment

That is the secks, I was looking for some good port infor for the Priller.. Prob still get someone else to do it though as my artistic skills are hopeless and porting really is an artform.
                            [Y]

Comment

I was just chatting to RGVLEE, and we where talking about how this is only 1 part of a tune that you really need to complete all parts of.
                              JUST port matching like this will probably reult in a less reliable bike, you need to do a whole heap of things at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X