Bike problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike problems.

I just went for a short ride down the river (about 2 minutes away), got on my bike to come home, gave it shit and it accelerated slower than a Vespa and really jerky.

It took me about 30 seconds to rev it up enough to change into 2nd gear, even though it was revving fine in neutral.
    It wouldn't let me past 40kmh all the way home even once I got it up a few gears.

It's a 2005 VTR 250.
    Any one got any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Cheers in advance.

has your rear brake seized?

Comment

Nope.

Seems to be something electric but I'm not sure what.

Comment

Got a sidestand switch? It might be shorting or something. Also check the usual, plugs, leads, etc.

Maybe something wrong with the fuel? Try and tap the fuel bowls of the carbs with a screwdriver handle to see if anything is sticking too.
        PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

yeah ... it does sound like a fuel starvation problem

Comment

What sort of Vespa tho?
            Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              What sort of Vespa tho?
              LOL

Anyway... fuel problems would effect power delivery, but electrical problems would better explain the 'really jerky' activity... did the bike recover after standing? have you run it since?

S.
              Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                What sort of Vespa tho?
                Aren't they all just as slow as each other?

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
                LOL

Anyway... fuel problems would effect power delivery, but electrical problems would better explain the 'really jerky' activity... did the bike recover after standing? have you run it since?

S.

I haven't run it since tonight, but it has done it once before about 4 weeks ago.
                I left it for 15 minutes and got back on it and it run fine last time.

Comment

umm the obious question how much fuel is in it? Where was the fuel tap set? how old of the plugs they do crap themselves every now and then.
                  Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                    Aren't they all just as slow as each other?

I haven't run it since tonight, but it has done it once before about 4 weeks ago.
                    I left it for 15 minutes and got back on it and it run fine last time.
                    ah, gotta be electrical then. Does it do it then stop doing it?
                    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by semi View Post
                      ah, gotta be electrical then. Does it do it then stop doing it?
                      Well like I said, this is the second time it has done it.

It went away after giving my bike a little nap on the side of the road last time.

This time it lasted the whole way home and I haven't ridden it since.

Comment

This sounds familiar, I think it might be a clutch issue.
                        Let me guess... as you accelerate, the revs jump up without you going faster, and it feels like you're repeatedly pulling the clutch in slightly but it doesn't really grip again?

When it used to happen to me, it was usually that the little knob on the end of the clutch cable had jumped out of the little actuator and was sitting behind it, therefore keeping it out slightly even when the lever was released. If the cable has too much freeplay it can happen quite easily.

So check that the knob is seated properly at the bottom end, check the freeplay and maybe lubricate the cable also.

Hope i'm right and this is of some help...
                        "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
                          This sounds familiar, I think it might be a clutch issue.
                          Let me guess... as you accelerate, the revs jump up without you going faster, and it feels like you're repeatedly pulling the clutch in slightly but it doesn't really grip again?

When it used to happen to me, it was usually that the little knob on the end of the clutch cable had jumped out of the little actuator and was sitting behind it, therefore keeping it out slightly even when the lever was released. If the cable has too much freeplay it can happen quite easily.

So check that the knob is seated properly at the bottom end, check the freeplay and maybe lubricate the cable also.

Hope i'm right and this is of some help...
                          Yep, that's exactly what it felt like.

I just had a bit of a play around with the clutch and will take it out tomorrow and see how it goes.

Cheers for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X