hilux wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hilux wiring issue

yeah i know it's not my bike (but given it's a honda it'll probably have wiring issues soon enough!!)

my hilux (2004 dual cab 3.0L turbo diesel) taillights have all of a sudden stopped. only the parking lights and license plate don't work, the brakes, indicatiors and reversing lights work.

i've checked bulbs, all ok.
    i've checked fuses, all ok.

anything else i've missed?

Trapped/sheared wire somewhere?
    They'd be on the same circuit.

Comment

Get multimeter.. Test for 12v at taillights. Use another earth (a bare metal bolt or something). No power? Work back toward the fuse.

P.S. IMO, I don't think you've checked all/the right fuses.

Comment

lee, i won't take offense at that, as originally i hadn't.

but then i found a second fuse panel (why the frig is there 2??) and i've pulled out and checked every fuse in the car (about 30)

i checked every fuse, regardless of what it was for.

Comment

If you get 12v with a MM, get a test light and see what happens. If the light doesn shine brightly, youve either got an issue with the wiring insulation or a dud connector somewhere.
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          Its the little things that make the difference
          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Do the multimeter test.
            If you get ~1-2V, it usually indicates a broken wire or corroded plug.

Having similar issues on my Falcon with it not recognising the new alternator...

Comment

Alrighty, have just spoken with our resident auto sparky...

Reckons the first thing to check is the plugs/wiring for those lights, obvious i know but it won't take much as they are only thin wires,
              have you got a trailer plug? check the pins haven't been puuled out so that when the flap closes it creates a connection,
              Check the globes are the right ones ie have two terminals not one thus creating a short so that only one or the other works
              Double check the 10amp fuse in the main box.
              I had a vision of my reality once... then turned my back and walked away.

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                lee, i won't take offense at that, as originally i hadn't.

but then i found a second fuse panel (why the frig is there 2??) and i've pulled out and checked every fuse in the car (about 30)

i checked every fuse, regardless of what it was for.
                So have you checked for power at the lights then?

Comment

Originally posted by simmo View Post
                  Alrighty, have just spoken with our resident auto sparky...

Reckons the first thing to check is the plugs/wiring for those lights, obvious i know but it won't take much as they are only thin wires,
                  have you got a trailer plug? check the pins haven't been puuled out so that when the flap closes it creates a connection,
                  Check the globes are the right ones ie have two terminals not one thus creating a short so that only one or the other works
                  Double check the 10amp fuse in the main box.
                  cheers mate - i'll check the trailer socket, didn't think of that. the globes are fine, both double filaments (remember it was working, just stopped a few days ago all of a sudden). have messed with the plugs to see if that helped but nothing.

i'll borrow my dad's meter tomorrow and check it out more.

Comment

check the connection under your pedal.... that was the problem with my gf parents one..... 02 i think tho

just a bit of wd40 and a kick and....whabamm ... all good

Comment

but its not the brake - that's fine. only the parking light & license plate.

Comment

ohhh sorry

miss read that part.

yeh i would just check the wiring from were the brake lights meet and see if its damaged after that...

all i can say good luck

Comment

Well my hilux just got recalled cause the bonnet catch cracks and sends the bonnet smashing into the windscreen.

Comment

is this a tray-back or wellbody you have?

The lights you mention should be the ones which normally come on at the 1st 'click' of the headlight switch... are the front parking lights also inoperative?
                            "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
                              is this a tray-back or wellbody you have?

The lights you mention should be the ones which normally come on at the 1st 'click' of the headlight switch... are the front parking lights also inoperative?
                              dual cab, so it's a well body.

the front is all fine - parking lights, headlights & indicators.
                              the back brake lights, reversing lights and indicators all work

just the back parking lights (the red light that is on when it's nighttime ) and the license plate light is what is not working

Comment

Working...
                              X